General Poetry posted August 29, 2018


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
What Am I Contest Entry

Expensive Taste

by June Sargent

A gift from the sea
Cleopatra swallowed me
crushed in vinegar



What Am I? writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a 5-7-5 about a mystery object. Photos that fit the theme are a nice touch, but do not give away the mystery object in the photo or in the text of the poem. The mystery object should be revealed in the notes.


What am I? A Pearl.

Legend has it that, in order to show her wealth and power, Cleopatra VII (69 B.C. - 30 B.C.) made a bet with her lover â?? the Roman leader Marc Antony â?? that she could spend 10 million sesterces on one meal.

"She ordered the second course to be served. In accordance with previous instructions, the servants placed in front of her only a single vessel containing vinegar. She took one earring off, and dropped the pearl in the vinegar, and when it was wasted away, swallowed it," Roman naturalist and philosopher Pliny the Elder (23 - 79 A.D.) wrote in his Natural History.

Indeed, the pearl was not just any pearl. Pliny called it "the largest in the whole of history," a "remarkable and truly unique work of nature" worth 10 million sesterces.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. June Sargent All rights reserved.
June Sargent has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.