Biographical Non-Fiction posted August 25, 2018 Chapters: Prologue 1 -2- 3... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A start at a new life style.

A chapter in the book My Life

Gate Guarding

by aryr

It was an adventure of its own kind. I had retired from nursing with the plans of not working. But this was ideally a two-person job, so of course I volunteered for the night position. Besides it was something that broke the boredom that sets in after the initial freedom of retirement.

There was still a steady flow of trucks coming in and out over night, but it was about a quarter of that of the day and evening. During that time, there were land owners, all kinds of representatives, people hoping for jobs, everything. Which reminded me of the hospital.

Quite frankly, I was tired of people in masses, after many, many years of doctors, technicians, business reps etc. I always enjoyed providing care for my patients and teaching family members regarding their discharge care or consoling them when they lost a loved one. Many a year I worked the night shift just because of that. People were just as sick and had just as many needs but other than ER and ICU, we didn't have all the testing and rush of people. People who ironically didn't really care about the family member but wanted to put on a great show and be a total pain in the #@% to staff. Now back to gate guarding.

Regardless of my occasional feelings to this new life, it was still an adventure. We were able to watch calves born basically across the road, saw wild boars, cougars and small bears. Hey, I even learned why ranchers put donkeys in the cattle fields. Apparently, they (the donkeys) do not like or tolerate coyotes who do not like the donkeys, so it is a win win situation for protecting the cattle.

Because the manager liked our job performance, he requested that we follow his oil rig to new sites for drilling. This was a compliment and we enjoyed a year and a half of doing so until oil prices dropped, drilling dropped and all related jobs.

This entire adventure took place in the beautiful state of Texas, if you have not visited, then do so.

It is so much more than vast areas of tumbleweeds, there are hills and valleys, rivers and the gulf coast. The trees are plentiful even if they are spaced out. The cowboys and girls are amazing to watch. There is so much to see.

But I also need to say that the whole country is beautiful in its own way from coast to coast, from the southern to northern bounty. Each state has its unique beauty.

...........to be continued.




Check out more about gate guarding life in the short stories I posted.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. aryr All rights reserved.
aryr has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.