Romance Fiction posted August 20, 2018 Chapters: 1 2 -2- 2... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
It takes money to celebrate.

A chapter in the book Loophole

The Twin

by Marvin Calloway



Background
A romantic comedy.
An honest, hard working husband is tempted to take advantage of his resemblance to his twin, for the sake of his loving wife and himself.

Final words of part I:

Chet's got the best seat in the house. His desk is near vending machines, a water cooler and rest rooms. I went in the men's room to check my clothes and hair. My mustache, which came in, just in time, made me look more like Chet than he does, especially since I haven't been fighting with a bike messenger.

                                                                                                              Part II

Back at my desk, my boss, Mr. Broham said, “Good thinking, Chet, with that bowling bag, you look like a person who hasn't much money.”

“Maybe I'll  dress this way for Halloween.”

“Oh, Chet! I didn't mean that the way it sounded.”

“That's quite alright, sir. I was only joking.”

“It's just that you'll be carrying more than nine million . . . ,“ he laughs, “. . . a bowling bag. I can't get over it. What a great idea! Grab a coffee, while we get the bag ready.”
"Mr. Broham, that's no way to talk about my wife."
"Why Chet! I never knew you to have a sense of humor."
"Mr. Broham, you're looking at the new Chet."
"Well keep it up. I like him."

< < ^ > >

While I'm waiting for Mr. Broham, I thought about Annette and our upcoming anniversary. We're going through a rough patch now, but what I'm planning for our seventh anniversary will be the happiest anniversary celebration, ever.

                                                                                                         < < ^ > >

Mr. Broham returns with the bag. “Why don't you take the rest of the week off, Chet? I'm still thinking of that bowling bag idea of yours. See you Monday.”

“Thank you very much, sir”

                                                                                                           < < ^ > >

Fred walks in the front entrance to the bank and leaves by the side door, still holding a bowling bag worth a fortune.

                                                                                                           < < ^ > >

Fred enters his apartment. Annette's not there. I guess she took off early for our new home in Connecticut, he thinks. He takes a cab to his new mansion.

The gate across the driveway opens automatically. Annette must be watching from the window.

The cab rolls past a four car garage and a swimming pool. The cabby pulls up to the entrance to the mansion. In the distance are tennis courts and a building Fred had forgotten the purpose of.

While going around the driveway, Fred notices the gate has closed. He sees a garage door open and then another. From each, a limousine with dark tinted windows pulls out and heads for the Mansion's entrance.

Annette must have called some friends to celebrate with us, Fred thinks.

Four cops pour out of the limos. Annette opens the front door of the mansion.

“One of you grab his suit case and y'all come in.”

“What's going on, Darling?”

“You robbed a company of over nine million dollars, that's what's going on. They offered a reward of ten percent to the person who finds it. So I'm turning you in. But there's good news. Your boss, who's not your boss, likes you better than the real Chet. He said he's not gonna press charges. But you still might have to do jail time. Meanwhile, I'm heading for Florida. I'll have all the money I'll ever need.”

Fred said, “Thanks to me. You wouldn't have a nickel if I didn't steal ten of them first.”

“I'm not even going to guess what that means,” she said.

“And don't forget, today's our anniversary, Baby. Isn't it against the law to celebrate a wedding anniversary, alone?”

“You're starting to sound like an ambulance chaser,” she said. “All right, boys, show him who you really are.”

The four cops shed some clothes to reveal their catering uniforms. Musicians, waiting in the recreation room, got their cue to start playing music for the happiest anniversary celebration, ever.





This piece is my submission to a seniors writing contest, in Baltimore County. It had a 1000 word limit. The theme is Celebration!
Before editing, it was 1000 words on the nose.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Marvin Calloway All rights reserved.
Marvin Calloway has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.