Essay Non-Fiction posted August 17, 2018 Chapters: 1 2 -3- 4... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Running the World

A chapter in the book Non-Fiction

Little Puppet and Your Coolness

by michaelcahill


 
King of the World is a lofty title, supercilious if you ask me. My first act is to designate myself as "Your Coolness" and my chief advisor, Little Puppet, as, well, Little Puppet ... there's no improving it.
 
My first edict was to ban weaponry world-wide. As it turns out, it was a mistake on my part. There is a need for weaponry in many cases for survival due to climate and environmental reasons. Subjects living in Alaska or the depths of the Amazon rainforest, for instance, required some form of weaponry for survival.
 
I still banned weaponry and made the ownership of same on a needs basis. Hunting for survival and that alone would be the only basis for weapon ownership and then, only weapons adequate for the tasks at hand. 

Moving forward ...
 
Sport or display of any animal is banned. Capture of any animal is legal for the preservation of an endangered species only. We are only as good as we treat the least of us. When we begin to debate who the best or least of us might be, we've already placed ourselves at the bottom.
 
Cruelty and unkindness are the gravest of crimes in the new world. Kindness and compassion are its most valued attributes.
 
Religion is banned as a political or economic force. It is forbidden for any religious organization to own anything. Space for religious observations and practices is to be donated by members of that particular faith and only for the purposes of use and not speculation or profit. Donations may be collected to compensate full time church workers, but no worker may earn more than the average working wage of the region in which they practice their faith. Structures shall be modest and in keeping with the surrounding neighborhood.
 
No elected official may serve more than two terms of office in any capacity. No appointed official may keep their position for more than two years or be appointed more than twice.
 
Wages shall be based on a contributory basis. Teachers shall be considered top wage earners especially those who teach the arts, music, writing, painting and the like. All workers who produce goods will be considered skilled and compensated accordingly.
 
No one will be employed in positions that generate nothing. Banking, insurance and any financial institutions that create nothing will be banned. The top positions in any company will be paid no more than twenty-percent more than the average worker in the company. No worker will be paid less than twenty-percent less than the average worker in any company.
 
All job interviews, evaluations and disciplinary actions will be done anonymously. A job interview will consist of a questionnaire filled out by an applicant. It will be numbered, and the applicant will keep a receipt with a corresponding number. There will be no information on the application of a personal nature identifying name, age, sex, ethnicity, or any other identifying factor.
 
Borders will be eliminated worldwide as will countries. Divisions within former countries will be a thing of the past. Cities, landmarks geological wonders, parks etc. may retain their former names. Thus, The Leaning Tower of Pisa will still be thusly called, Yellowstone Park will still be called the same etc. Of course, maps may use old country names as geological designators for convenience, but they will no longer exist as political entities.
 
Drugs will be legal worldwide, but behavior under the influence of drugs will still be adjudicated accordingly. It is illegal to harm another in any way, physically, verbally or by falsely impugning one's character.
 
People the world over will be taxed ten percent of all income.
 
No one will be allowed to go homeless or without food. Tax dollars will be allocated to feeding the hungry and housing the homeless FIRST. When that is accomplished, tax dollars may go to other things.
 
All medical needs will be covered one hundred percent with no exceptions. That will be priority number three for tax dollars.
 
In a system that rewards productivity, a productive farmer will be a sought-after position. Food production will increase exponentially.
 
A world valuing art and knowledge will be a more cultured and tolerant world. Ignorance is the greatest enemy a society can suffer. It can't be reasoned with.
 
Hunger can only be fed. Homelessness can only be housed. Ignorance can only be educated. Tolerance can only be achieved with blind eyes.
 
As King, I will be no more exalted than any other citizen of this planet. That is the only chance for it to work. We ALL must be in this together. A King cannot be exalted. That is always a monarch's ultimate doom. I'm just one of you, one of the cool kids. Your Coolness is King, it could be worse.
 
 
 



If I ran the World contest entry


Oops. Almost forgot. LOL Hell! An essay? Yikes! Okay, take two. :))


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.