Mystery and Crime Fiction posted August 10, 2018 Chapters: 1 1 -2- 2... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The robber's deathbed statement, etc.

A chapter in the book Loophole

Tape II

by Marvin Calloway




Background
An aging detective teams up with a much younger female detective to solve a murder/robbery

Last words of Chapter 1:

Stop the tape,” Brennan said. “Let's let that sink in for a moment.”

< < ^ > >

Chapter 2

I've got a question,” Doherty said. “Why would Sterling tell Ronald a plan, then say he's not going to use it?”

Maybe to confuse him,” Cipriotti said.

Yes, and fake us out,” Brennan said, “in case Ronald betrays him. By planting two ideas in his head . . . ”

. . . Ronald can't double-cross him,” Doherty completed his sentence.

. . . because he won't know which plan to prepare for,” Cipriotti said.

Only an untrusting individual would think that way,” Brennan said. “I doubt there's a person in the world that Sterling trusts.”

And vice versa,” Doherty said.

Let's see what he considers a better plan, Detective.”

< < ^ > >

Doherty pressed 'play.'

I was so busy describing things, I didn't realize a nurse had jabbed me with a needle. Sterling said something about an ambulance, and started to go into details . . . I was getting real sleepy . . . said he won't reveal . . . all the details . . . new members of the . . . team . . . day before . . . robbery . . . have to stop . . . talk . . . later.

The trio of detectives waited to hear what Ronald said next.

< < ^ > >

I'm back. Thought I was a goner. Hurt a little bit, until the drugs kicked in. I think I can finish up, now. I found the Heffernan brothers where Sterling and me left them a few months ago, The Dew Drop Inn.

They didn't recognize me, at first. When I told them who I was, I thought they were going to kill me, until I told them how much money they would get. I had no idea what that figure was, but they were more concerned about revenge.

I tried to keep it simple, not that they were dumb or anything like that, but if it was too complicated I was afraid they might balk.

Turned out, they would have hijacked the Queen Mary if it meant getting even with Sterling.

I told them we didn't need no ambulance. I figured we could do the same thing Sterling was gonna do, except without an ambulance. Earl Heffernan said he'd pay for one out of his cut.

I told them I could figure the time to show up at the bank almost to the second. A couple minutes for this, a couple minutes for that, Sterling pretends to shoot me, he disappears into the bank, through the back door, I hear sirens then you boys pick me up in any thing you want. A beer truck would be nice.

The brothers turned out to be a nice pair when they weren't being cheated in a card game. Sam Heffernan said he knew the neighborhood. He'd be watching from the store on the corner and would show up before I hit the ground.

< < ^ > >





Ster Crazy has nothing to do with 'Loophole', my RoAn m/Com
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by avmurray at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Marvin Calloway All rights reserved.
Marvin Calloway has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.