Fantasy Fiction posted July 25, 2018


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A Native American fairy tale inspired this story.

Love on the Lake

by GollyGreen32


The wind suddenly picked up as Feylyn looked out from the porch. A wall of dark clouds was pushing across the horizon and a light chop had developed on the lake, gently rocking the small boat tied to the dock. Just as she was about to turn toward the door, movement in the water caught her attention. She jumped down the stairs and jumped in the boat. She pulled the cord and the motor roared to life.

Feylyn followed the water splashes all the way to the opposite shore and then cut the engine. The man exited the water and his footprints headed toward the wood line. She stayed in the boat and stared into the trees. His gaze was on her and his black swim trunks clung to his long, lean legs. Gentle. Strong. Kind. He was here all the time. Fat rain drops plopped onto her forehead.

A cabin sat on the other side of trees where another woman lived. Did she know about this man? More rain drops splattered on her face and thunder rumbled in the distance. She started the engine again and steered the boat back across the water. Why did she worry about it? He wouldn't look twice. She glanced at her scarred hands on the boat's helm. When she was a toddler, she had fallen into the fireplace, burning her face and hands, when Steven, her stepfather, went to get more wood. Mira and Jayda made fun of her. Called her crazy sandpaper face.

Feylyn docked the boat and ran to the house. Thunder clapped and lightening forked across the sky. The clouds released their rain. Mira and Jayda were laughing in the kitchen. Great. A cup of tea would taste so nice, and of course, the step monsters just had to sit where she spent most of her time. When Mom died, her stepsisters turned cruel and petty, and Steven turned into an empty shell. Well, here goes. She entered the kitchen and walked directly to the tea kettle.

"Where did you go?" Mira asked.

Jayda laughed. "She was probably chasing the invisible man again."

Both women laughed.

Feylyn faced them. "I'm not crazy."

"We didn't say you were crazy," Jayda said, "but you are." Both women laughed again.

"We don't blame you for having an imaginary Prince Charming," Mira said. "Imaginary is all you'll have with that face."

Feylyn walked out of the kitchen with her head held high. She wasn't about to argue with witches. She ran up the stairs and locked herself in her bedroom. Hot tears flowed into her pillow as the thunder and lightning rumbled and flashed outside. She'd go see the woman in the other cabin. So what if the woman thought she was crazy too. Maybe she'd find some clue to the mystery man. After an hour, she arose from the bed and splashed her face with some water. Sunshine burst through the blinds. It was now or never. If no answers came, she'd shut up about it.

Feylyn sailed back across the lake and knocked on the cabin door. A tall, black-haired woman answered the door.

"Hello, I'm Feylyn Hagar. May I come in?"

"Please." The woman stepped aside to let Feylyn through the door.

"What can I do for you Feylyn? I'm Delpha."

"Have you seen a man around here? He's tall, thin, with black hair?"

Delpha smiled. "Come with me." She took Feylyn's hand and they walked back to the lake shore. "Close your eyes and describe him to me."

Feylyn's eyes drifted closed and she breathed deep. Delpha released her hand. In Feylyn's mind, a well-recognized man appeared.

"His hair is full and thick. He has a five o'clock shadow." The man walked closer and stopped directly in front of Feylyn. She gazed up at his face. He smiled.

"He has good teeth and full lips."

Delpha laughed.

"He's wearing a gray t-shirt, jeans, has bare feet and his eyes are ice blue." Feylyn shifted her weight from one hip to the other, but didn't open her eyes. "I'm not crazy," she whispered, but then covered her face with her hands.

Delpha touched her on the shoulder and Feylyn opened her eyes. They returned to the cabin.

"The man is my brother, Oren," Delpha said. "Stay and have a cup of tea. He'll be here soon."

"Why can't anyone else see him?" Feylyn followed Delpha into the kitchen.

"This happens to the men of our people on their twenty-fifth birthday." Delpha filled two cups with tea from the teapot. "They become invisible until they meet someone they love."
Feylyn sat at the table. "What happens if they don't meet someone? They stay invisible?"

"No. When our men reach thirty-five, they become visible to everyone again. It's a curse our race has carried for at least two hundred years."

Delpha gave a teacup to Feylyn and then sat across from her.

Feylyn sipped. Mmm...strong and minty. Her whole body tingled.

Delpha watched as Feylyn's scars disappeared from her face and hands.

The kitchen door opened. Oren stood in the doorway, fully visible. He locked eyes with Feylyn and approached her. She stood, and he reached out and cupped her cheek.

"I've waited so long for you."

Feylyn clasped his wrist and pressed her cheek harder against his palm. "I've waited for you too."

The couple married in a ceremony on the lake.



Inspirations writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Take a classic fairy tale (it doesn't have to be well known), and write a story based on the plot. It does not have to strictly adhere to the original plot.


The story "The Invisible One and the Rough-Faced Girl" from the Mi'Kmaw culture inspired me to write this story. I loved the idea that the "Cinderella" in the story was not beautiful, but flawed, and the "Prince Charming" carried a curse.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. GollyGreen32 All rights reserved.
GollyGreen32 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.