Mystery and Crime Fiction posted July 20, 2018 Chapters:  ...15 15 -16- 16... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Murder/ robbery mystery

A chapter in the book Loophole

Double Jeopardy

by Marvin Calloway



Background
A retiring detective and a much younger female detective team up to solve a Murder/Robbery mystery. Only some loose ends remaining.

                                                                    Chapter 16

                                                               Double Jeopardy

Detective Brennan had been peering between two rolling screens, watching the 'murder' take place. Despite the dim light he could see the vengeance in Sterling's eyes, the evil pleasure on his face.

Soon, light from cameras and flashlights lit up the space and the room lights were switched on. In addition to patrolmen and detectives, Sterling was surrounded by nurses and Candy Stripers*, who were invited to witness the villainous act.

Sterling played his part perfectly by doing exactly what Brennan thought he would do, when casually informed that Ronald was recuperating in the room across the hall.

In reality, the target of his tirade was a hospital cadaver dressed in bed clothes and surgical tape, made to appear as a patient. Not just any patient, but the already deceased Ronald Roman, whom Sterling wounded earlier.

Patrolman Mel Grandea stayed in character as Sterling's new best friend.
Boss, I theenk they geet drop on you!”

Trying to shield his eyes from the light, Sterling replied, “What are you talking about? You're in this too.”
I was by dee door, checking on dee coast.”

Sterling's mind raced back to the scene in front of his bank:

My cohort is backing out of the bank, holding the bag of money in his left hand and a gun in his right. If I don't shoot first, he'll kill me and get away with the money. . . my money . . . I've got to shoot . . . It's self defense . . . kill or be killed.
Didn't you see Ronald's gun?” Sterling pleaded. “I'm telling you, it was self defense.”

Taking more time than necessary, Detective Amanda Doherty and Patrolman Charlie Cipriotti crawled out from under the unoccupied bed and went straight to Herman Sterling, who wasn't trying to go anywhere. He was as docile as a baby.

Cipriotti held him, while Detective Brennan handcuffed him and Doherty read him his rights. The words, 'murder of Ronald Roman' were key among them.

Before Sterling's eyes could adjust to the bright light, the two patrolman spun him around and rushed him out of the room, thus preventing him from seeing that the 'murder' was a sham. They escorted him from the hospital to their patrol car and sped off to police headquarters.

“We've got to review the testimony of Joan Berkowitz and Floyd Tucker to see if they support my theory,” Brennan said to Amanda.
 Amanda replied,That it wasn't self defense when Sterling wounded Ronald Roman, earlier today. I'll bet he's the first murder victim to ever die twice in the span of an hour.”

                                                                      < < ^ > >

Brennan received a call from headquarters, ordering him to return to the bank and meet with the top brass. They also wanted Sterling to be there. Detective Doherty volunteered to make the call, hoping Patrolman Cipriotti would answer. When he did, she suddenly realized their conversation would not be private.

Detective Brennan is ordering you mugs to return to the bank, with your friend, Mr. Sterling, ASAP. By the way, Chico has gone missing. He's probably armed and dangerous. Over and out.”

Brennan thought, her sense of humor is progressing nicely.

                                                                       < < ^ > >

When the patrolmen returned to the bank, they used one of the offices to guard Sterling. While being escorted, Sterling received dirty looks along with obscene gestures. The patrolmen were surprised at how unpopular he was.

While waiting for the bank personnel to arrive, Brennan used the time to bring patrolmen Cipriotti and Grandea up to date on the robbery and shooting details, with the aid of Ronald's taped statement. When they had finished, both patrolmen asked a question, in unison, “Where's the bag of money?”
Detective Brennan and detective Doherty looked at each other, thought for a few seconds and replied in unison, “We don't know.”

* Volunteer nurse's aides.





This chapter has nothing to do with Loophole, my Rom/Com novel.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Marvin Calloway All rights reserved.
Marvin Calloway has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.