Mystery and Crime Fiction posted June 15, 2018 Chapters:  ...12 13 -13- 14... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Solving a bank robbery.

A chapter in the book Loophole

Hospitals

by Marvin Calloway



Background
Characters:
Character List:
George S. Brennan: Police Captain.
Amanda Doherty: Police Detective.
Floyd Tucker: Teller One.
Joan Berkowitz: Bookkeeper.
Gertrude (Trudy) La Scola: Teller Two.
Ro

Hospitals

Detectives Doherty and Brennan returned to the ICU. They were told by the intern who spoke with them earlier, “We couldn't save him. Sorry!” She looked from one to the other. “Was he a close friend of yours?”

“Not really. We may have been his only friends,” Amanda said.

“Ronald was the victim of a situation he couldn't get out of,” Brennan said, somberly.

Before the intern could ask them to explain, the detectives slowly walked away.

                                                                     < < ^ > >

They found themselves in the cafeteria, again. Amanda was drinking cold water from a paper cup. Brennan had coffee.

“Ronald's gone, but we do have his statement,” Amanda said.

“Which makes him and Trudy seem like pawns in Sterling's master plan.”

"While it's only natural that he would slant it that way, his scenario makes perfect sense.”

“Besides the tape, we have another of his possessions.”

“What's that, S.B.?”

“His clothes.”

“What good would they be to us?”

“They might play an important part in my plan to entrap our bloody friend. If it produces the desired result, there will be no doubt in the minds of a jury as to his guilt.”

                                                                        < < ^ > >

After Amanda heard Detective Brennan's plan, she said, “So, Ronald's dying might be just what the doctor ordered.”

Brennan laughed and said, “For everyone's sake, I hope so.”

“I suppose we'll have to get Sterling's babysitters involved.”

“Definitely. But first, we should choose the hospital in which to set the trap.”

“Isn't there a chance we may not have a choice?”

“True. I'll talk to someone who's in charge here, while you call St. Agnes and get their response.”

                                                                      < < ^ > >

“Everything set, Amanda?”

“Yes. If Sterling is that stupid, your trap can't fail.”

“We had Patrolman Cipriotti read Sterling the Riot Act, which stipulates: if he steps out of line while at St. Agnes Hospital, we can throw the book at him without a trial.”

“He would have signed anything to silence Ronald.” Amanda said.

                                                                     < < ^ > >

“Patrolman Grandea said he'll be ready. He just hopes he doesn't fall asleep. When do you think Sterling will make his move?”

“Soon, I hope. I'm getting hungry!” Brennan said.

                                                                      < < ^ > >

Hide my clothes, did they! Sterling thought. They're not dealing with some bozo who just got off the boat. I'm Herman Sterling.

I spent the last twenty-four hours studying the patterns of the hospital personnel on this floor. I know who would fluff up a pillow and who would administer a headache pill. Which pair of staff members would go to the room of a comatose patient and have a smoke while ridiculing the head nurse.

I also know which ones can be bought and which can't. I'm willing to bet ninety-nine percent of them can't resist making some easy money. I've heard that this kind of work doesn't pay much.

In addition to everything I've learned on my own, one of the most important things was dropped in my lap. Ronald is in the room next to me. That was a real smart move on the part of the cops. I guess they wanted to keep the riffraff together.

                                                                      < < ^ > >

Another thing I've noticed is that it never gets very dark in a hospital. After nine p. m., decidedly fewer lights are on and that's when I'm making my move.





This story has nothing to do with Loophole.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Marvin Calloway All rights reserved.
Marvin Calloway has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.