Mystery and Crime Fiction posted May 30, 2018 Chapters:  ...10 11 -11- 12... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Detectives study deathbed tape

A chapter in the book Loophole

Ronald's Story

by Marvin Calloway



Background
The two detectives believe they know almost everything necessary to wrap up this case but there are still some things they don't know.

Chapter 11

Ronald's Story

“Ronald Loman gave us the whole story,” Detective Brennan said to Detective Doherty, “at least his version of it.”

S.B. and Amanda, the names they agreed to use when no one was around, were heading to Mercy Hospital, about ten miles from Wilton Savings and Loan. Amanda drove her midsize Lexus a few miles over the forty miles per hour speed limit. With hardly any traffic on this sunny afternoon, there was no need to operate a siren or flashing lights.

Amanda thought, how comforting it is to have S.B.'s presence next to me, though his mind seemed to be some distance away.

You been fiddling with those recorders since we left the bank, S.B. Working on your Christmas card list?”

You think you're joking but, my wife used to start the season in September, God rest her soul. No, I'm attempting to write the Reader's Digest version of the robber's story,” he said. “His is much too wordy. I also hope to clarify certain details.”

Maybe I could help. The old 'Two heads are better than one,' theory.”

Not when one of them is old and feeble.”

“Oh, I doubt, very much, you're in that category, S.B.”

I was referring to you, my dear.”

Brennan turned off the recorders. “Remember when we first arrived at the bank and Sterling mentioned that an ambulance had picked up the robber?” Before Amanda could answer, he continued, “Why didn't he say something about the teller getting shot? Is it my fault I wasn't aware of that? Is it the ambulance people's fault or is it Sterling's fault for not saying anything about Trudy? It's like he didn't want us to know.”

Amanda slowed the car to under the speed limit. “In my opinion, he should have spoken up. You're right, he should have filled us in on things we had no other way of knowing.”

But, the Sterling we've come to know and detest did exactly what we've come to expect,” Brennan said.

What's the robber's name?”

Ronald, Ronald Loman.”

Will Roman Loman be charged with anything?”

It's Roland, I mean Ronald. Maybe not, since he was acting under duress. If he's charged with anything, I feel confident they'll go lightly on him.”

What duress?” Amanda said.

Sterling and Ronald cheated two nasty brothers out of a thousand dollars in a card game. All Sterling has to do is leave word at the bar where they can find Ronald and he'll either repay the money or not live to tell about it. The Heffernan brothers never forget.”

Famous bad boys, huh. Did he also blackmail Trudy?”

I'm sure he did. How else could he have gotten a sweet woman like her to help him rob a bank?”

Sweet?”

You heard on the tape how Ronald talked about Trudy. He has no idea what the blackmail item could be,” Brennan said.

Ronald said they've been over the plan so many times, he could do it in his sleep. The evening before the robbery the three met at 9 p. m., under cover of darkness. That was the usual time, but they never repeated the same motel, so anyone who saw them couldn't detect a pattern.

Ronald said, 'Sterling thought of every little detail.'"

I know someone like that, Amanda thought.

Trudy was late. She said she went to church and Ronald believed her. Even Sterling believed her. That's the kind of person she was.

Some time ago Sterling asked Ronald what he thought of her. Ronald said, 'If you play your cards right, you could have her, but you'd be better off reneging.' Sterling thanked him for the tip and replied, 'I know she won't renege, not with what I've got on her.'

It must be shameful, but if Trudy dies, it's still murder,” Amanda said.

That's the main part we have to clear up. Ronald may have wanted her dead so he'd get a bigger share,” Brennan said.

Sterling might want her dead, not for the money, but just to be rid of her,” Amanda said. “He could steal money from the bank anytime.

Sterling swore the gun would have blanks. At the last meeting, Ronald checked it, saw it had blanks and gave it back to Sterling.

But, on the morning of the robbery, Sterling is the last person to handle the gun. He arrived at the bank early, filled the black bag with large bills, made sure the gun was loaded with real ammo and placed it on top the money. He zipped it shut. He probably checked the zipper to make sure it worked. He put the bag at Trudy's teller window on a shelf, out of sight of customers, below the counter.

On the tape, Ronald said that on the day of the robbery, Trudy handed him the bag, he unzipped it, picked up the gun lying on top of the money and immediately thought the gun felt too heavy. He knew Sterling had switched the bullets. So he aimed for Trudy's left arm, to be sure the bullet wouldn't kill her. He said there was no doubt in his mind, Sterling wanted Trudy dead.”

Brennan said, “Maybe Ronald brought real bullets so he could make the switch if necessary?”

So which one put real bullets in the gun?” Amanda asks.

That's why we're going to see Sterling in one hospital and Ronald in another hospital. While we're out we should visit Trudy to see how she's doing.”




Book of the Month contest entry


NOTE: the word, LOOPHOLE has nothing to do with this murder mystery.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Marvin Calloway All rights reserved.
Marvin Calloway has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.