General Fiction posted April 28, 2018


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The price of admission.

Behind the Gate

by DALLAS01


Horrified, I watched through rheumy eyes as the child thrashed around in the parched cornfield below. Dusk was catching up faster than his scrawny legs could carry him. Any chance of escaping his captors was diminishing with each tick of the clock.

Why on earth was he my assignment? I was new to this game; having only arrived last week. Hardly enough time to get acclimated. No one had handed me a set of directions, or a bag of magic for that matter. What a shoddy operation!

As his pathetic pleas for help wafted up, I shifted into panic mode and shuffled back towards the gate that had opened its marvels to me; then quickly gave me the boot.
I rattled it vigorously till Michael reappeared, wearing his angelic smile. He approached, turned me around, and heightened my shoulder blades.
"You've earned these wings. Now go rescue that young earthling."



150 Words Flash Fiction contest entry


Thanks to supergold for the artwork.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by supergold at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. DALLAS01 All rights reserved.
DALLAS01 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.