General Fiction posted March 25, 2018 Chapters:  ...10 12 -13- 14... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Chapter in the book

A chapter in the book Briarly Hall

Mrs Goodwood

by zanya




Background
Lady Betsey and Squire Albert reside at Briarly Hall. Their son, Lord Airdale has not as yet produced an heir. An Italian woman arrives, Lady Letaxia, with a baby whom she says is Airdale's son.
Lady Betsey crooned softly to the infant, as she was wont to do, in years gone by with her own children.
The baby 's cries lessened . Tears dried on its infant cheek. Two dark brown, chestnut eyes looked up at Lady Betsey.

There was a knock on the door. Lady Betsey opened it.

'Ma'm, it's Mrs Goodwood. Butler Eames called to my home in the village, just now, asking me to come urgently to Briarly. What good news Ma'am .. an heir born at Briarly? Now my Lady , you and the Squire need worry no more..there's been no talk in the village yet about the Briarly heir...but the good news will soon get around'.

Mrs Goodwood caught sight of Lady Betsey, gazing fixedly into the eyes of the infant.
'Why Lady Letexia said he has my eyes...', Lady Betsey continued as if talking to no one in particular.

Mrs Goodwood entered the room cautiously, confounded by the sight of Lady Betsey, who seemed totally absorbed in the tiny infant.
She gave a gentle cough to attract Betsey's attention.

'Mrs Goodwood,' Lady Betsey began,' see to it that the nursery is reopened today. Go to draper Smith in the village and order a complete set of baby bedding and clothing of the best quality'.

'But Ma'am,' Mrs Goodwood replied, 'It's been twenty years since I set foot in the drapers'.

'Mrs Goodwood', Lady Betsey continued, 'Carry out my instructions to the letter..see that all matters are sorted before the Squire returns in the afternoon'.

'Very well, Lady Betsey,' Mrs Goodwood replied, wrapping her shawl around her to protect against the late Spring chill.

'I shall go downstairs and have a word with Eames'.

Butler Eames was busy overseeing lunch preparation at Briarly.

'Butler', Mrs Goodwood began, 'does anyone know what is goin on around here..is this child a waif ..a foundling ? We needs to be careful ...is he of the blood of the household?'.

Eames was abashed, reminding her, 'Mrs Goodwood, you must follow the mistress's instructions'.

He leaned a little closer and whispered in her ear,' Mrs Goodwood, am I glad to see you, things are a little crazy here this morning..what with foreigners arriving at the door dropping babies and you returning to work at Briarly..it's almost like the old days'. The Butler chuckled.

Mrs Goodwood began to feel a little more at ease.
Donning her feathered, bottle green hat, she lifted the latch downstairs and turned the corner into the street in the direction of the drapers'.
It was market day and villagers were setting up their stalls. A strong smell of cheese wafted in the breeze. Piglets squealed noisily in their makeshift pens.

Mrs Goodwood had a spring in her step. How she used to love to walk to the village along the cobblestones especially as Spring returned. Her late husband Harold's long illness meant she had to leave Briarly to care for him.

The draper's door was already open and she could see the baby layettes from the door way. Smiths name was still over the door. Two young seamstresses, one with a long blond braid down her back, sat busily sewing by the shop window.

A pang of regret sprung up in her bosom at not having children of her own and the joy of grandchildren.

Mulling over how she might explain her return to Briarly, she hesitated for a moment before entering the shop. Not recognising the shopkeeper , she felt more at ease.

'Morning Ma'm ', the shopkeeper began,' looking for something for your grandchild'.
Ehm...'Yes sir, 'Mrs Goodwood, answered. 'Bedding and a layette of the best quality.. for a baby less than a year old, at Briarly Hall'.

The shopkeeper placed a ladder against the tiered shelves. 'I'm George Johnson, by the way', he added as he carefully climbed upwards. 'Took over the shop a decade ago from my elderly Uncle.Took a while to gain the confidence of the customers. My only daughter has a baby just under a year old.
An heir for Briarly at last, you say...why the Squire will be well pleased,' Mr Johnson continued. 'Used to be a story doing the rounds about the curse of Briarly Hall when I was a lad.
Only the best for Briarly..Ma'am..why Briarly used to be one of our best customers..it will be a delight to renew our connection with the Squire'.

Unusually for Mrs Goodwood she was now short of words.
'What name have they chosen for the heir, Ma'm ...is it Albert after the old man himself?' George enquired.

'Can't say as I can tell..don't think they have chosen a name yet...'Mrs Goodwood continued.
'Maybe something a bit different...',Mrs Goodwood said ..'Maybe a nice foreign sounding name like Giova..,' she remembered hearing Lady Betsey cooing and singing to the infant while saying something like Giova.

'Foreigners at Briarly Hall...never....why the old Squire has no time for foreigners..remember that time when a few Scots, hardly call them foreigners, attempted to purchase part of the estate at Briarly and Squire got his parliamentary pals to wield the veto,' George added.

'Can't say as I do '..Mrs Goodwood replied ..'been out of the place myself these twenty years ..don't know what's goin on,' Mrs Goodwood replied.

'Twenty years Ma'm ..and you going back to resume your duties to the new heir..must be urgent..did nobody know this heir was on his way?'
Mrs Goodwood longed to probe the rumours a little further but realised her loyalty to her erstwhile employer. Carrying her brown paper package, tied with a blue ribbon, she hurried out of the shop.

By the time she returned to Briarly, Eames had found the large iron,rusty key and reopened the door of the nursery.
Cobwebs hung from the ceiling, shimmering in the midday sun. The sheets on the perambulator were yellowed with age. A musty scent hung in the air.
Mrs Goodwood removed her shawl, rolled up her sleeves, made her way downstairs to find the duster.

Opening the long, latticed windows of the nursery, air began to circulate. A wooden baby rattle lay beneath the window. Lord Airdale, Mrs Goodwood mused to herself...Lord Airdale loved to play with the wooden rattle. Perhaps the new heir will like it too.
An old abacus lay on a shelf covered with a layer of dust.
Mrs Goodwood had little time to ponder. She heard Lady Betsey 's hurried step in the hallway coupled with the sound of a baby gurgling.

Lady Betsey continued to cradle the child in her arms.
'Mrs Goodwood ,' she began,'You must hurry, the baby needs to sleep. We don't know how long he has been travelling from Milan, perhaps all night'.
Mrs Goodwood suspicions grew. But knowing the rules in Briarly Hall, she knew not to ask questions but rather to wait and let events unfold.

'Mrs Goodwood, call the butler and have him place a warm bedpan in the cot for Giovanni'.
She did as she was told. However it was clear Eames knew as little as she did herself.

'Why Mrs Goodwood', Eames began ,'for whom...Giovanni...who is Giovanni..and when is he due to arrive at Briarly?'
Knowing Lady Betsey was within earshot, Mrs Goodwin replied,'why it's the new heir at Briarly, he's here already'.

'No more talk of heirs at Briarly,' Lady Betsey interrupted,' Briarly is now blessed with a true heir..however we must keep it as a surprise for the Squire ..for the moment'.

The Butler and Mrs Goodwood exchanged curious glances, since the Squire was traditionally always the first to be informed.
Lady Betsey entered the nursery cradling Giovanni.

'Now Lady Betsey,' Mrs Goodwood,'said, ' I shall look after Giovanna for the afternoon while you have tea with Lady Lucas. Butler informs me that Lady Lucas is expected this morning from Scotland'.

Lady Betsey's face fell, having forgotten her appointment with Lady Lucas.
'Mrs Goodwood,' Lady Betsey began,' Lady Lucas is not due till three. Can you bring Giovanni in the perambulator along the laurel walk while Lady Lucas is here. Squire has a meeting at the bank and will not be home till later'.

'Why of course, My Lady,' Mrs Goodwood replied.
'Giovanna and I will go the long way around and I will show him where the robins always nest in Springtime'.
'Mrs Goodwood', Lady Betsey replied sharply,' Giovanni, not Giovanna.
Briarly has a male heir'.

 




Image from Google images
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. zanya All rights reserved.
zanya has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.