General Fiction posted March 5, 2018 Chapters:  ...44 45 -46- 47... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Patience is a good virtue.

A chapter in the book The Life of Mrs. Armstrong

A Difficult Time.

by aryr



Background
Mrs. Armstrong comes out of retirement, and decides teaching has its own unique challenges. Challenges that she would not only face but also do battle against.
The next morning, we started with the dreaded menopause. The girls groaned about the prospect. Everyone was surprised that not only did their parents, but the so called senior citizens still had sexual relationships. Most thought that concept was even grosser than yesterday's delivery.

"I guess I shouldn't share with you all, that the highest rate for STD or sexually transmitted diseases is among the elderly. One would think it was be teenagers and young adults but surprise."

There were several looks of shock throughout the room.

"Oh, and I probably shouldn't tell you that all of you guys, will go through a shorter period of male menopause, just like the girls go through their female menopause."

There was a stunned silence for at least five minutes. I remained quiet and let them absorb what I had said.

"Wait a minute, I don't have any periods and I don't get pregnant. So, what are you saying? That I will still get a menopause?"

All the other male students maintained a confused look, while the girls just smiled, and some laughed.

"No, you don't have periods. No, you don't get pregnant. But yes, you will go through male menopause. And I would even bet that you are more familiar with the symptoms than you think."

Again, all the guys shook their heads.

"While thinking about your fathers, your uncles, your grandfathers or the older store owner, how many of those men have a receding hair line or have started to or have become bald? How many have beer bellies, and they are proud of those? Some of them don't even drink beer. How many of you have seen any of these males checking out the younger females? How many of you have divorced parents and when did it happen?"

Silence once again, took over the room. I ventured one step further.

"How many of you have step mothers who are just slightly older than you and have step siblings several years younger?"

More silence.

"Unfortunately, males do have a period of menopause, during which these things can happen and a lot of them do. Females on the other hand from puberty deal with breasts and periods, raging hormones during both pregnancies and their monthly curse, as it is sometimes called. And then they suffer through menopause. They have decreased periods until they stop altogether, devastating hot flashes that can happen at any time. They tend to gain weight. Look at me, I used to be as thin as a popsicle stick and now I am a pleasingly plump grandma."

They looked around at each other as if they could see what their classmates would look like in twenty or thirty years.

"Yes, you will all have some form of menopause, but at least now you know about it. My advice is that as these changes start to take place, remember this talk. Look at your spouse and remember what made you attracted to him or her. Then talk about what is happening and how you are feeling. You may be surprised to learn that they are going through difficult times as well. They just did not know how to approach the subject."

I paused as what I had suggested sunk in.

"In fact, for the guys, be sympathetic toward your wives. Tell them that you understand the changes that will happen and that you are willing to talk about anything. And the girls should do likewise for their husbands. Communication is truly one of the best actions to maintain a relationship. And remember, you are never, ever, too old to look; it is the touching that gets you in trouble."

The room erupted in laughter. And within minutes, they were all standing and clapping. Wow, my first standing ovation.

A week later, William came into class, looking sad, lonely, discouraged; all the negative aspects that could be thought of. He was physically there, but mentally detached. Several noticed and tried to cheer him up. They had no choice but to give up when he rejected their efforts.

I stopped him as he was leaving for lunch and locked the door.

"What's happening? Bad news? Did you get positive results? Talk to me."

"It's just that it has been a week and we haven't heard anything, not a word from any of them. I might as well give into the fact, that thanks to my brother, I have this screwed up life. I won't ever marry or have kids. I sure hope I never infect someone else. Will I even get a job?"

"Okay, first, you know that it can take two and sometimes three weeks for the results, so don't push it. Second, it is natural that you want to blame your brother for this and you are right. This is all potentially his fault. But you will forgive him, and you will help him live through this, just like your parents are helping you. They cannot love either of you less than the other children because this happened. Everyone will become wiser because of this. You may marry, who knows what fate has planned for you? And what is wrong with adopting? And yes, you will get a job, I have no doubts regarding that. So, give it some more time. Now let's you and I get some lunch, my treat."

He nodded.

It was two days later, that Dr. White called. I excused myself from class, with a glance at William.

"Jax, I am going to send you a text and an email shortly, but I wanted to call immediately. I hope it was okay to do so. I am so glad that you interfered. I have all three lab reports on William, Randy and his drug buddy. They are all negative. I have called the lab that did the original test and advised them that they produced faulty reports and not to use the equipment for any testing. They asked if they were going to be sued and I told them I would try my best to have my clients avoid doing this. I did tell them that they would need to have everyone tested for HIV to be re-tested at two or three different labs and that they would have to absorb the cost. I was glad to hear that there were only five others, but still five is too many. Apparently, they just got that machine three months ago. So, will you please tell William the good news, I am going to call Randy and his buddy and have them come in today. I hope to scare the shit out of them, so that they never think of drugs again. Thank you so much for stepping forward."

I was crying as I promised to tell William, and then hung up. A quick trip to the restroom and a cold paper towel refreshed my face. I took a deep calming breath before opening the door. As I stepped into the class room, there was silence. I looked at William.

"Class, I need to speak to William privately, so would you quietly read through the chapters on specimen handling. William would you please come with me, bring your back pack. After we are finished talking I would like you to go home and gather your thoughts."

Books were opened, and he meekly followed me out of the room. We once again went to the teacher' lounge and I locked the door.

"Please sit down, I am too old to be picking you up off the floor. Dr. White just called. He just now got the results in from all three labs on the three of you."

He was crying, "God, I knew it. I just knew it was going to be bad."

"William, it is not bad. All three labs have cleared you. You do not have AIDS, neither does Randy or his buddy. You are clear!"

"What? What? I am clear? Randy is clear? Are you telling me the truth?"

"Yes, you are clear and that is the truth. Dr. White is calling Randy and his so-called buddy as we speak. He is going to have them come in and hopefully scare the dickens out of them. But everyone is clear."

"Oh my God. I can't believe it. Do my parents know? God, I would like to beat the hell out of Randy right now, but I won't."

"No, your parents do not know, that is why I am letting you go home, you need to be able to tell them in person. Then you and they can be ready for when Randy gets home. Now the lab was really concerned when Dr. White called them. They have just had the equipment three months and have five other patients to notify and arrange free re testing. It is up to you and your parents if you wish to sue them."

"No, I don't think I want to. It would become public for Randy and me and the family. Everyone would know, and we don't need that. I'll talk to my parents and Mr. Dumb Ass."

"Okay, so I will see you in the morning."

"I can't ever thank you enough, I am so glad you were here and so glad you helped so much."

We hugged, and he went on his way and I returned to class.



Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. aryr All rights reserved.
aryr has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.