General Fiction posted March 4, 2018 Chapters:  ...43 44 -45- 46... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The plan is put in place.

A chapter in the book The Life of Mrs. Armstrong

Taking Care of Business.

by aryr



Background
Mrs. Armstrong comes out of retirement, and decides teaching has its own unique challenges. Challenges that she would not only face but also do battle against.
When William came to class the next morning, I immediately called him out of class, even before he put down his back pack. We went to the teachers' lounge where we could talk privately. I explained my concerns but not my memory, and that after talking to both doctors, he and Randy were to be re-tested and I provided him with the addresses of the new labs. I also advised him that there would be no charges for the testing, which produced a sigh of relief.

I excused him from class and that I would see him later in the day when he was done. He walked down the hall calling his brother and explained that he would meet him at the first lab and then explain things. He smiled and waved as he went out the door.

He had no clue of the outcome, but because of his respect and his trust, he was willing to fly on blind faith.

Of course, everyone in the class room was concerned, so I just told them it was a family emergency and to remember to be sensitive to his feelings when he returned.

Class was prepared to go on.

Stan raised his hand and I nodded.

"Why is it that sometimes I crave something? Is it because I am missing something in my diet or my body? Pregnant women really crave weird things, or I should say from what I have seen they tend to."

"What an interesting question. Thank you, Stan. You are right about pregnant women, because it is hormonally related there is no rhyme or reason. To the guys in the class, when you marry, and your wife is pregnant, get her whatever she desires. Have no fear that she will make you eat what she is because she will want it all for herself."

Laughter filled the room.

"A craving can be caused by several things- stress and depression because we want what we call comfort foods. Lack of sleep or not sleeping restfully can be a cause. Studies indicate that cravings are controlled by the same part of the brain that deals with memory, pleasure and rewards. Sure sounds like comfort to me. I do think that some cravings are related to nutrient deficiencies, such as wanting chocolate, not only because it tastes good, but it is also high in vitamin B6 and magnesium. Sometimes a change in our normal level of leptin and serotonin can create a desire for foods that will replace it. There is a tendency to want sweet, salty, meat and cheese. And in some cases, you will notice an increased intake in sugars, salts or fats. The key is to change your environment- if you are inside watching TV with commercials about salty chips -try chewing gum, change the channel and better yet, go outside for a walk. Even popcorn is better for you than a bag of chips."

There were several chuckles and lots of head nodding.

"Going off topic for a minute; did you know that you and you alone can consume a whole bag of chips while watching TV. You are concentrating on the show or movie and not the action of your hand feeding your mouth."

Surprise was on almost everyone's face.

"One last thing about craving, medical science and researchers now believe that the craving period is a rather intense one, but it only lasts around five minutes. If you can make it past that apparently your craving disappears. With the exception of being pregnant. It is important though not to confuse basic hunger as a craving. If you haven't eaten for a while, then it is hunger calling to you not a craving. Yes, Ralph?"

"What does leptin and serotonin do?"

"Leptin is a hormone that is an energy enhancer, it basically tells you that you have eaten enough to keep you from being hungry and that you have energy to do what you need to do."

There were no other questions.

"Serotonin is a mood changer, some think of it as the controller of your well-being and your happiness. It is found or produced in several places but primarily in your digestive system, your CNS and platelets. How many remember what CNS stands for?"

All hand went up and I pointed to Betty.

"Central Nervous System." She smiled.

"Correct. Thanks Betty. People with low serotonin levels have a tendency to become depressed and before that level tend to have poor sleep patterns. Any other questions?"

Head were shaking 'no'.

"So, when you think you are craving something, try to think about something else, it will pass."

We continued talking about hormones and glands until lunch.

William returned after lunch, smiled and held up three fingers.

I nodded and said that I hoped his family emergency was taken care of.

Everyone, of course, was concerned. Some were down right nosey and wanted details but all he said was that it was a problem with his younger brother and left it at that.

Because we had addressed the cravings of pregnant women, there were several who wanted to know about the hormonal changes involved which lead to others wanting to know about the change of life or menopause for women.

For the rest of the afternoon we reviewed pregnancy, the symptoms of a pregnancy, the changes over the nine months. The stages of labor and the events of delivery.

Just about everyone felt that there was a gross part somewhere in the process, if not more than one. They all departed with instructions to read tonight.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. aryr All rights reserved.
aryr has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.