General Fiction posted March 1, 2018 Chapters:  ...39 40 -41- 42... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Eating can affect our bodies.

A chapter in the book The Life of Mrs. Armstrong

We Are What We Eat

by aryr



Background
Mrs. Armstrong comes out of retirement, and decides teaching has its own unique challenges.

The two weeks passed quickly. It was time to conquer another test and to move onto the next system. Which would of course, be the digestive system. As we had progressed through the diseases of the other systems, it became more and more apparent to the students, that the systems interlocked.

I also took the time, before going to the next system, to caution them regarding the use of Vaseline or any petroleum-based product for people who used oxygen. It sure felt good because the oxygen is drying but it is petroleum and when mixed with the oxygen is combustible.

The diagrams were a success, they definitely knew the body parts, however, the questions were proving to be more challenging. Marks dropped substantially, but they were still eager which meant a lot. The tests were meant to merely give them good study resources.

Within the digestive system we discussed ulcers, flatulence which was the proper name for gas, diverticulosis, blockages, diarrhea and constipation; to name a few.

Unfortunately, this also became the time to tease Stan about his grumbling gut. He was great about it and laughed right along with the others.

During this time, we also talked about the various food journals, they had recorded. We actually spent a whole day reviewing them, then two days discussing the food choices, the digestion processes and how the foods affected their bodies.

For example, the class learned that Stan's diet consists of a lot of beans, cabbage, onions and soda. And a fair amount of low cost red meats rather than chicken and fish.

I explained that red meat does take longer to be processed, thus more activity in both the gut and the bowels. Beans, cabbage, onions and soda were all food choices that produced gas. So, his choices were responsible for creating gas which caused the grumbles of tummy. I also expressed that he probably had lots and lots of flatulence, and maybe some issues regarding his bowel movements. Constipation and diarrhea were common when people had poor eating habits.

He just blushed a deep red at that suggestion.

The class slowly was becoming aware that their diet was affecting what their bodies were doing.

"I recently had the opportunity to eat asparagus, which I had never had before. It had an unusual taste, but not in a bad way. I liked the crispy chewy taste and I loved the butter it was baked in. I did notice that the next day, that every time I went to the bathroom, I had stronger smelling urine. Was that the asparagus?" Andrea asked.

"Yes, it was food related. Some foods will affect you with stronger odors that usually pass in about 24 hours. Always remember that if there is an odor but no other symptoms or discomforts, it is probably a new food or medication. For example, some antibiotics cause unusual odors for both urine and feces." I smiled to myself as I recalled the meal she was referring to. I had cautioned her about her urine.

"Is it true that if you ate a lot of lemon poppy muffins, you could have a positive urine test?"

"Absolutely, I strongly suggest that you avoid eating them. If you know you are having lab work of any kind you avoid anything with poppy seeds. You may end up with a false positive for opiate use." I smiled, and the class laughed.

"For this reason, it is important to ask your patients what they have had to eat in the last 24 hours. The other thing to remember is to always check that they have been fasting the required amount of time. For example, cholesterol tests required at least ten hours fasting, with the exception, of water. Diabetic testing such as glucose tolerance is the same. These things you will learn."

We discussed the symptoms of diabetes, even though it was part of the endocrine system, it was highly related to the digestive system as well.

They learned to be concerned when there was increased thirst, hunger, urination and weight loss.

Also, that skin irritation or itchiness, especially in the genital area was a concern.

I reminded them that in the old days, diabetics were put on high starch diets such as potatoes and cabbage before the invention of insulin. Now there were a multitude of treatment methods.

We circled back to the food journals and I was asked about dietary changes.

The best things, that I could suggest was a change in the amount of red meat they consumed, to cut back on their consumption of bread and sugar. We even discussed the best liquid to drink, and of course, the answer was water.

There were a multitude of questions, that took up the rest of the day. Were canned goods better than frozen? Were fresh better for you than canned and frozen?

Several had decided that after talking to their families, they were going to do the window sill gardens. They had even decided who would grow what and how to trade out items. They did however, question if it was possible to freeze some of the veggies they grew. I provided a list of what could and could not safely be frozen and what they needed to use as it grew.

It sounded like they were indeed working on better diets not only for themselves but for their families.

I was extremely proud of them.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. aryr All rights reserved.
aryr has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.