General Fiction posted February 25, 2018 Chapters:  ...37 38 -39- 40... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
We are what we are and continue living.

A chapter in the book The Life of Mrs. Armstrong

Time Continues On

by aryr



Background
Mrs. Armstrong comes out of retirement, and decides teaching has its own unique challenges.
We discussed various things, such as blood clots, decreased circulation, high and low blood pressure, aneurysms, atrial fibrillation, heart attacks and the different heart murmurs. And I assured them that each process would be covered in greater details.

I took the opportunity to talk about the fact that there were potential blood pressure concerns and murmurs within the student body of the class room. I, of course, made sure it was okay with everyone before I would identify those involved and I stressed that none of the conditions considered were life threatening.

"Could I have a show of hands for those students who are not willing to have other members of this class being aware of these unusual but not life-threatening conditions?"

There were no hands raised.

"I would like to have a show of hands for all who are willing to share this information."
Every student raised their hand.

"We have three students who have a slight murmur. I want each of you to grab a stethoscope and listen to their heart beats, and for those three, please listen to each other. Ralph, Billy and Michelle would you please come up here. And remember, your murmurs are just your uniqueness, your stamp of difference."

We spent the rest of the day listening to the differences and I promised the few who were having difficulties that they could try again the next day, when they were fresh in the morning.
"Before you leave I would like to ask the three of them a question. Do any of you three, feel that your health has been compromised? Have you any of you felt that you have been barred from activities because of your murmur?"

All three of them denied any concerns in their past, as well as not having concerns because they are a little different.

"One last question and then we will call it a day. Does anyone in the class feel that they have noticed difficulties or felt concerned for the welfare of these three?"

Everyone was shaking their head 'no'.

"Okay, off you go. Have a great evening! See you in the morning."

We continued the next two weeks, discussing, reading, reviewing.

Midway through the second week, I called upon Phillip and Betty to come up to the front every hour to let two students check their blood pressures and advise me if the reading was high or low and by how much.

I was delighted that everyone was correct and now that they knew the normal range we able to also identify that the readings were still within the text book range but were either the bottom of the low range or at the top of the high range. Again, they were both advised that they were fine.

I had had their interest when they were studying the systems; but now that we were talking about the concerns they were more than active.

Everyone was willing to share information about a parent, a sibling or a relative that had something specific wrong. Even histories of their grandparents who had died, were talked about.
It was as if the lights were finally clicked on. Although we were still talking about the cardiovascular system, they were starting to see how the diseases affected more than one system.

They were interested and becoming medical detectives.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. aryr All rights reserved.
aryr has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.