General Fiction posted February 11, 2018


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Being a superhero isn't always what it's cracked up to be...

Driving Mrs. Peggy

by BunnyS

Driver's Road Test Contest Winner 

“What do ya mean I didn’t pass!? I have to pass!” Peter’s voice broke, turning "pass" into a two syllable word. Stupid puberty! Peter cleared his throat and tried again.

 “Please… uh, Peggy.” Peter glanced at the examiner’s name tag. “You can’t fail me. You don’t understand. I can’t be an Aven…” Oops, not cool, Peter, not cool!  "I can’t be a very…good…um, boyfriend, yeah, a good date, if I can’t drive my girl to the Homecoming Dance. I need my driver’s license!” Peter pleaded with the woman in the passenger seat. Was her face that white when they started? Maybe she wasn’t feeling well. That would explain the grumpiness.

Mister Parker! It is you that doesn’t have a grasp on what safe driving is! Nor do you have an understanding of the laws of the road, or any consideration of fellow drivers! And, it is Mrs. Walters to you, young man!” Mrs. Walters slid out of the car and slammed the door. Peter watched as she rounded the hood and headed towards the building. He jumped out of the car and stepped into her path.

“I’m sorry, Mrs. Walters, um, ma’am. I didn’t mean to be rude. Please, if you will just give me one more chance…” Peter smiled his best smile.
Mrs. Walters closed her eyes and took a deep breath. Peter had seen his Aunt May do the same thing many times. Not good.

“Mr. Parker, I have been a driving examiner for well over thirty years. I have seen some horrible drivers in my career. Never! Never, have I ridden with anyone who had such a low regard for my safety, or the safety of others.” Peter noticed that Mrs. Walters’ face was becoming a dark shade of pink as she spoke. At least she had her color back.

“I thought I had seen everything…until today. I have never had a driver jump out of a moving car to chase someone down. I could have been injured. Or killed! You could have hit a pedestrian, or damaged someone’s property.”

“Uhhh… in all fairness, ma’am, I did ask you to grab the wheel.” There, that should make a difference. After all, he didn’t just jump out! Peter grinned, proud that he had done the responsible thing. The examiner’s mouth dropped open. Oops… Maybe that wasn’t the response she was looking for.

“Good day, Mr. Parker.” Mrs. Walters sidestepped the teenager and headed for the building.

“But ma’am! Please!” Peter ran after her.

“Okay, so maybe I should have stopped, and put the car in park, before I jumped out.” Peter tried to sound sincere.

“But that guy stole a lady’s purse and took off with it. I had to go after him.” He had chased the guy down an alley, finally capturing him in a web, and then hung him from a fire escape. He called the police and told them where to pick up the scum bag, before returning to the car.

He wanted, so badly, to tell Mrs. Walters who he was. That he was the amazing Spider-Man, able to shoot Spidey-webs and chase down bad guys. He had caught that guy today, but he couldn’t tell her that. He was friends with Iron Man and Captain America… Well, not friends exactly, but he knew them, and Tony Stark was taking him from being an awkward teenager, to becoming a super hero. But what kind of super hero would he be without a driver’s license? He couldn’t tell the examiner that he had helped to save the world, or that he was part of the reason that Queens was becoming a safer place.

“Mr. Parker, let the authorities do their job. Practice driving and come back when you are more mature and ready to take driving seriously. You risked our lives, and the lives of others today, all for nothing. There wasn’t a thing you could have done to help that woman. Don’t try to be a hero, Mr. Parker. You’ll end up getting yourself hurt…or worse.” Peter wanted to argue with her. He wanted to scream from the rooftops that he was a super-hero. Instead, he stepped aside and let Mrs. Walters go back into the building. This secretive stuff stunk!

 



Driver's Road Test
Contest Winner


I can't imagine having such a secret and not being able to tell anyone...
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. BunnyS All rights reserved.
BunnyS has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.