General Fiction posted January 31, 2018 Chapters:  ...14 15 -16- 17... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The weekend is over and it's back to the school.

A chapter in the book The Life of Mrs. Armstrong

Back to Work

by aryr



Background
Mrs. Armstrong comes out of retirement, she has had struggles with the class, but she will continue on with week two.
Sunday was a catch-up day for me. I cleaned, did the laundry and cooked a small pot roast. My grandchildren called as usual to update me with their successes at school and the events of interest in their lives. I talked to my daughter for a while and in general felt good that things were going well for her. We arranged a visit for next month.

I had the TV on just for background noise. I was just not up to music today while I read. Wiggles was once again very comfortable on the couch, after a half an hour she scurried under the throw cover. We were settled for a while.

The pot roast and veggies were great. I organized my paper work for class and set out my clothes. I had discovered that my dress pants with a blouse or pull on sweater was an ideal choice to be combined with one of my two old but favorite lab coats. It was great having pockets.

I called and spoke with both Roni and Darlene, things were going well for them. Roni and I had talked and decided that it was foolish that we hadn't thought of it before, so we exchanged keys. Roni explained that she and her daughter had figured out how to manage her appointments. Darlene had a larger car, so her mother would slide unto the back seat and lean against the back door on a pillow. I was so glad that we had mastered transfers. I encouraged both of them to call me at any time. And I promised Roni that I would give her a weekly update on how the class was going. She was impressed that I had created the test and that the students did so well. I think she plans to continue with the tests when she returns.

I decided to watch TV for a while from bed. After both of us got comfortable, the cat and I, the choice was between a comical movie or a documentary. The movie won. I laughed and chuckled as Wiggles snoozed and snored.

Monday, I was up and on my way. There was something to be said about the subway system. It provided reading time, napping time or just plain old people watching. I was surprised to see that about 2/3 of the class got on at the last switch. They were a noisy group competing with the others. Everyone was chatting, no one was attempting to sleep. All of them acknowledged me and a couple asked if I had the test results. I just smiled and nodded.

When we got to the school or rather the building that became the school, I changed protocol and advised them that I would open up for 0800 and they were welcome into the class room rather than the hall. They were quiet and orderly and took it upon themselves to set up the drinks area. One asked if it was okay if they brought in cold drinks, which I approved.

Class started at 0830, I had put the test papers in order according to the seating plan. I walked down each row distributing the marked tests. Everyone was turning to surrounding students to show them their results. Pride flushed their faces.

"As you can all see, there were minimal mistakes. Those who lost marks did so because of spelling rather than labelling. I am so proud of each of you. Unfortunately, I can not use these grades towards your final mark, but you can use the tests as reviews."


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. aryr All rights reserved.
aryr has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.