General Fiction posted December 29, 2017


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Prose Contest Entry

A Very Short Tail

by Ogden


.


It was the only thing she ever did in her whole life that could be deemed heroic. A gentle, timid soul, one perfect sunny, windless day (she didn't like rainy or blustery weather) Lily was enjoying the beauty of her surroundings, feeling more carefree than ever, confident. She had no way of knowing this was that rare once-a-year day when magic was in the meadow.

If there had been any witnesses, she would have become famous for what was about to happen.

Lily didn't know why, but was sure this day was going to be different. 
"Nothing will frighten me," she thought, surprising herself. "Bring it on!" Lily didn't flinch, when, almost on cue, she spotted the bobcat heading in leaps and bounds in her general direction. When the predator was within earshot, Lily, emboldened, somehow found voice to command authoritatively, "Stop where you are! You are lucky I'm not hungry, you foolish hunk of snack food!" It worked! The normally ferocious cat screeched to a halt, turned bobbed tail, and fled. never to return. And Lily, relieved, wasted no time flying to the safety of her shelter. 

Overjoyed, the butterfly flitted in laughter, after shedding her bulky eagle costume.




Disguised writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a story where one of the characters is in a disguise.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Ogden All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Ogden has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.