Commentary and Philosophy Non-Fiction posted October 26, 2017


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Congress members need to act to protect U.S. citizens.

It is Time to Step Up

by HarryT


I have read from time to time in the press that there is interest in using the 25th Amendment to depose the current president. In fact, Rep. Al Green introduced such a measure. However, in my opinion, opponents of the president need to look elsewhere. Any action under this amendment must be triggered by the vice president and I doubt if Trump lap dog, Mike Pence has the will or the fortitude to initiate such a move. Therefore, I believe the seeking impeachment is the only course of action possible to remove this president as long as Mr. Pence is vice president.

Impeachment proceedings may be activated when high crimes and misdemeanors are committed by a sitting politician or judge. Allegations of misconduct such as perjury of oath, abuse of authority, bribery, intimidation, misuse of assets, failure to supervise, dereliction of duty, unbecoming conduct, and refusal to obey a lawful order," are grounds to begin proceedings. (See www. constitution. org/cmt/high_crimes.htm).

I believe Mr. Trump has at the least committed transgressions in the following instances: abuse of authority, intimidation, misuse of assets, and conduct unbecoming of a United States president. To begin the impeachment process against a sitting president a member of the House must present a list of the charges under oath, or ask that the matter be referred to the appropriate committee. The U.S. Constitution requires a two-thirds majority of the Senate for conviction. "The removal of impeached officials is automatic upon conviction by the Senate." (See https://en wikipedia. org/wiki/Impeachment_in_the_United_States).

The words of Joseph Welch, council for the Army during the Army-McCarthy hearing, have many times echoed in the chambers of my mind since Donald Trump has become president. To quote Mr. Welch, "You've done enough. Have you no sense of decency, sir at long last. Have you left no sense of decency?"

Please representatives, you need to act in order stop the country's flight back to the 19th Century masterminded by Donald Trump, the most ostentatious of present day Robber Barons. We need you, the men and women of the House and Senate to step up and do your sworn duty to protect the welfare of American citizens by impeaching this narcissistic, twittering, bully before this man devastates our country, our world climate, our global reputation, or does the unthinkable and ignites World War III.



I Just Want to Say... writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
We all have opinions. But there are opinions and opinions. There is a doctor's opinion or professional judgement on an illness, based on professional protocol, experience, and research. And there is the "I prefer coffee to tea" opinion that need not be rationalized or supported.
An opinion piece of writing is somewhere in between. It gives your opinion on a particular cultural or political phenomenon or event, etc., but that opinion must be supported with facts, research, and/or experience. The topic can be something as simple as "How to Say 'No' with Grace" to the more complicated "The Con is a Fine Art."
Almost any length is acceptable; 1500-2000 words is optimal.


Our country, not party nor the president must be the primary concern of Congress.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by Renate-Bertodi at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. HarryT All rights reserved.
HarryT has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.