General Fiction posted August 22, 2017 Chapters:  ...3 4 -5- 6... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Chapter in Book 'Briarly Hall'.

A chapter in the book Briarly Hall

Lady Mathilde's sojourn in London

by zanya


Marquis Gregoire's father, Lord Charlois, greeted his son Marquis Gregoire as he ascended from the carriage.
'Papa,' Gregoire continued, 'my dear childhood friend, Lady Mathilde from Briarly Hall is joining us for dinner and will be our overnight guest'.
Lord Charlois peered over his spectacles at the young Norfolk heiress.

Lady Charlois soon joined the new arrivals.
'My dearest Lady Mathilde', Lady Charlois began, ' I am so happy to make your acquaintance again after some years absence. You were but a mere child when last we met. Now you have grown into a beautiful young woman. My son Gregoire speaks highly of you.'

Lady Mathilde listened politely, realising the long family ties existing between her father, Squire Alfred and Lord Charlois.

'My dear Mathilde, you shall have the guest boudoir, the blue room, in the West Wing during your sojourn with us. It affords more privacy and some beautiful sunsets on these early Spring evenings,' Lady Charlois continued.

'I shall require an escritoire where I can prepare my address for tomorrow's meeting at noon,' Lady Mathilde continued.

Lady Charlois seemed somewhat bewildered.
'Yes, Mama,' Gregoire continued. 'Lady Mathilde is an advocate of voting rights for women and will be part of tomorrow's gathering at Trafalgar Square.'

Lady Mathilde felt a deep sense of relief. She was in no mood to formulate her political leanings. She knew only too well the deep divisions such a move might engender. Marquis Gregoire smoothed her path. Yet Mathilde had difficulty deciphering his own particular views where womens' rights were concerned.

Lord Charlois betrayed no emotion, though within earshot of the conversation.

'Will you be wearing blue or pink taffeta to the Spring Ball, my dear?,' Lady Charlois enquired. 'Blue taffeta is so much in vogue this season. My friend, Lady Dinard, tells me it is distinctly all the rage in Paris this year.'

'Having an all-male household,' Lady Charlois continued, ' it will be fun to share the season's new colors and fashion with you, Lady Mathilde.'

A smile escaped Lady Mathilde's lips. Despite her earlier misgivings, she began to feel a sense of welcome.

Lady Mathilde dressed warmly on Saturday morning. Her navy hat with the two large plumes was her favourite for these political gatherings.
Snow fell heavier and drifts began to form.

Following breakfast with the Marquis, Lady Mathilde picked up her old leather satchel, a gift from her paternal great-grandmother and tossed it over her shoulder. Banners and flags of purple, white and green jutted from every orifice.

'Do you require assistance, Lady Mathilde?,' Gregoire enquired.
'I shall request my equerry to ready the hansom to take you to Trafalgar Square'.
Lady Mathilde was perplexed at this offer of assistance.

Not wishing to entangle Gregoire's family in her political pursuits, she responded, 'No, dearest Gregoire, I shall take a tram and hope to meet the sisters en route'.
Marquis Gregoire insisted, 'but Lady Mathilde, you are carrying a torch for human freedom, we cannot allow you to do it entirely alone'.
Soon the hansom was waiting and Lady Mathilde embarked.

Arriving early at Trafalgar, two of the political sisters were already there, preparing the podium for the address.

One of the sisters, Hilary, remarked,' Lady Mathilde, you arrive in style today, let's hope that is a good sign for the progress and membership of the Movement.'
Lady Mathilde winced. She was fully aware of Hilary's impoverished circumstances and the long hours working selflessly for the Women's Voting Rights Movement. Her lack of schooling and illiteracy meant she could not help new recruits to fill forms and enlist. Such educational shortcomings did not, however, dampen her enthusiasm.

Trafalgar was as yet, all but empty, on this March morning.

Soon a small crowd, mostly men, began to gather alongside the podium. Passersby stopped occasionally to watch the preparations. Some shouted abuse at the women.

'An who's feeding yer babies and cooking for your husbands when you're gallivanting here in Trafalgar?,' one middle-aged man shouted.
'They're only widows n' spinsters, sir, no men allowed in their beds', another man responded.

At times like this, Hilary felt emboldened, shouting out the words of Emmeline Pankhurst to anyone who cared to listen:
'We are here not because we are lawbreakers, we are here in our efforts to become lawmakers'.

A few eggs were thrown and landed on the podium, narrowly missing Lady Mathilde's right eye.
Wiping egg yolk from her face, Lady Mathilde came forward from behind the podium and responded, 'Sir, why does any man wish to deny women their rightful place in the world, where they can influence events?'.

A youngish man, wearing a pince-nez, watched the events from a distance. He edged ever closer to the podium.
'Ma'am ,' he began, ' I have no sisters and my mother died in childbirth. My father decides for my younger brother and me in our household. He declares it to be his right as head of family. I was not aware that women could be allowed to hold responsible office'.
The young man waited.
'My name is Edward,' he blurted out, ' Perhaps I can help you steady the podium in the centre'.
Lady Mathilde nodded in agreement.

Snow flurries turned to blizzard- like conditions making preparations difficult.
Noon chimed out from the clock tower. People stomped their feet on the snowy pavement to keep warm.
Lady Mathilde addressed her political sisters.
'Sisters, since weather conditions are inclement today we may not be able to address the public or further the cause of the Suffrage'.

Hilary interrupted and determined that they would nevertheless remain in situ for some hours so as not to miss out on any possible new recruits.
But soon the sky turned grey and visibility was reduced. The sisters began to pack up their wares and agreed to set a new date to meet.

The gas lamps along the small side streets were already being lit.
*******************************







Image courtesy of Google images
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. zanya All rights reserved.
zanya has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.