General Fiction posted June 4, 2017 Chapters: 1 -2- 3... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
...a strange request

A chapter in the book The Letter

The Letter - Part One

by Mustang Patty



A knock on the door disturbed my morning routine.  I had absolutely no idea who it might be.  It was only seven thirty in the morning; who on earth…?
 
The sight of what looked like a policeman's cap through the keyhole at the top of the door stopped me in my tracks.  Whatever this was, it wasn't good.  I pulled the door open and looked into the face of a tired mailman.
 
"Sorry to disturb ya so early, ma'am.  I got this here Special Delivery letter for ya."
 
Staring at the letter, I put out my hand.  "Who would send me something Special Delivery?"
 
"I don't rightly know, but if ya'll sign here, I'll be on my way."
 
Pushing a stylus and his electronic device into my open hand, he indicated where he needed my signature.  As soon as I finished the last letter of my name, he shoved the envelope into my hand and hurried towards his waiting jeep.  With him gone, I shut the door and concentrated on the problem he dropped into my day.
 
My hand shook as I looked at the thick stationary.  On the back flap in embossed letters was a name I never thought I'd see again, 'W. Jane Hamlin.'
 
"What does she want?" I muttered to the empty house.
 
The letter was heavy and bulged in the business size envelope.  Whatever she wanted, it took her pages to say it.  With a shaky hand, I opened the envelope.
 
Her familiar perfume assaulted my nostrils, and I glimpsed her handwriting before I noticed the item enfolded in the pages.  A cashiers' check for fifty thousand dollars made out to me lay on top of the letter.  Though my mother-in-law had money, she rarely shared with anyone, so I was confused, to say the least.
 
I was conflicted.  After fifteen years of estrangement, why was she reaching out now?  What was the money for?  What did she really want?
 
There was only one way to find out.  After going into the kitchen and pouring a cup of coffee, I walked on shaky legs to the dining room table.  It was probably best to sit down while I read.  Shaking my head in disbelief, I pulled out a chair, and settled in.
 

Dear Kathy;
 
I know you must be surprised to receive this letter, but if you are holding this in your hand, then I am dead.  You, my dear, are the first to know, and I've given you money and instructions on what to do next.
 

Wait a minute!  Why was it my responsibility to do anything next?  What about her son Jerry, or one of her daughters?  I knew she wouldn't think my husband, Doug, would do anything for her.  But surely one of her other kids…  Did she piss them all off, too?
 

I'm sure you're surprised that I would ask you to do this.  We haven't always gotten along very well, and it's been years since we've talked, but I always admired you and all that you stand for.
 
What the hell did she mean by that?  Yes, it was years, and yes, we didn't get along all that well.  But, she spent most of our time together putting me down.  She always pointed out how I did things wrong.  I wasn't bringing up the kids right; I didn't dress just so, and heaven forbid if I put on a few pounds!
 

I need you to take care of my final arrangements and bringing everyone together for my memorial.  I've included a list of phone numbers, addresses and the necessary paperwork to take care of my remains.  You will see I've already selected the funeral parlor, the urn, and the music.  You simply need to make the phone calls to set everything in motion.
 
The money I included for you is to make sure everyone can attend.  I don't want money to be the reason someone can't come to the service.  Buy airplane tickets and hotel accommodations.  Pay for their meals, and nice clothes if they need them.  (I want everyone to look nice.)  Oh, and please have the photographer I've arranged for to get a nice family picture, and then make sure everyone gets a copy.
 
Kathy, I know this is a lot to ask.  I also know why you've stayed away all these years.  I forgive you and you will have a more meaningful gift at the reading of the will.  Whether you choose to believe it or not, you were my favorite.  The kind of daughter I always wanted, you were a wonderful mother and wife to my son.  I'm sorry I never took the time to tell you.  I simply had to make sure no one else knew how much I loved you.
 
More love than you know,
Mom

 
My heart broke as I read those words.  Why didn't she tell me when I needed to hear it most?  I needed to know I was doing things right.  Heaven knows my own mother never told me anything nice about myself.  I spent more time as an adult with Jane, and I wanted her to accept me so much.  I thought I'd fallen short.  I thought she saw me as a failure.
 
I looked through the rest of the pages of the letter.  Sure enough, there were all the phone numbers and a copy of the arrangements she made with the funeral director.  She planned every detail.  I only needed to make the phone calls and prepare myself to enter a room full of people I thought I'd never see again.
 
I went to the kitchen and armed myself with another cup of coffee.  I grabbed a pen and my cell phone on my way back to the table.  Taking a deep breath, I dialed the first number on the list.
 

 ...to be continued
 



Recognized


photo of postage stamp from google.com
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mustang Patty All rights reserved.
Mustang Patty has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.