General Fiction posted June 1, 2017 Chapters: -1- 2... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
...you reap what you sow

A chapter in the book The Letter

The Old Lady

by Mustang Patty


It was her birthday today.  She knew many people shied away from their birthdays, but she did not.  No, the day was to be celebrated.  It was proof she was strong enough to make it through yet another year.  This was her eighty-fifth birthday, and though her body had pangs, and her mind wasn't quite as bright, she was still here.
 
Sitting in her tidy parlor, she sipped from her tea cup and allowed her mind to drift back to happier times.  She thought the very best years were the ones when the grandchildren were little.  After bringing up five children, the grandchildren were her special reward.  They appeared so swiftly after the long-awaited marriages.  She thought herself so lucky.  Four weddings within a year, and the next year brought four babies, quickly followed by two more the next year, and so on.
 
With a sigh, she glanced at the liver spotted hand holding her teacup.  Bringing her to the present, she could only smile at the memories.  Her tables were graced with silver frames honoring each of them.  Her oldest boy gave her four wonderful babies, and her oldest daughter gave her one.  The middle daughter gave her two, though they were thirteen years apart in age, her younger son gave her another two, and her youngest daughter blessed her with two boys, born exactly five years apart.  Yes, she was grandmother to eleven babies; five girls and six boys.
 
Grabbing her cane, and hobbling towards the first table, she grimaced with the pain.  Happy faces smiled back at her.  These pictures came from their school years.  Missing teeth and some forced smiles greeted her.  Their little faces danced through her dreams.  How she longed to have those years back.
 
Where had the time gone?  Where were all of them now?  The phone had yet to ring, and it was nearly eleven o'clock.  She could remember the days when a party would be planned.  Special angel food cake baked, and since it was her favorite, everyone needed to enjoy the spongy taste and the vanilla ice cream she insisted on.
 
Her phone was chirping.  "Hello?  Oh, hi sweetie.  It's so nice to hear from you.  Will you be able to come by today?  I ordered some cake and cookies."  She listened for a moment.
 
"I understand.  Your job does keep you busy, doesn't it?  In just a few more years, you will be able to retire, and then you will have more time.  Of course, I may not be here then, but it's alright…"
 
At least her oldest son remembered the day.  He lived just a few miles away, but his new lady friend kept him busy.  She thought it would be different when he moved back from Texas after his divorce.  Seemed his wife finally got fed up after twenty-two years.  She took the house, half of his military pension, and kicked him out.  She didn't really want to spend much time with their kids either.  She declared herself independent.
 
The eighties and the nineties were full of family outings.  They took so many trips together.  She kept everything organized and everyone had a job and chores.  It was so much fun to spend time together.  All their vacation time was taken up with trips together.  It didn't matter – why would they want to be anywhere else?
 
When did it take a turn?  Why was there no one here now?  She truly didn't understand.
 
Oh, there were the squabbles.  The girls, her daughters and daughters-in-law, didn't always get along too well.  They hated how she compared one to the other.  No one wanted to hear how another had kept her figure after giving birth.  They were chagrined when she rated their housekeeping from one through five.  Maybe she shouldn't have shared her thoughts with all of them.  When they were in the same room, scowls and frowns were passed.
 
Calling out, she summoned the home health care aide to her side.  "Please make me some lunch, and be sure the good china and silver are ready for the children to drop by."  That girl always had to be reminded to do everything.  She did not like having someone in the house, but it couldn't be helped.  She was too dizzy to cook for herself.
 
One face and her harsh words kept coming to mind.  Her other daughter-in-law, once sweet and the best of them all, told her in no uncertain terms what would happen.  "If you don't stop manipulating all of us, you will be a very lonely old woman."  She had screamed it in defiance at one family gathering.  The day was supposed to be a celebration, but when the girls all got together, they found she had been gossiping again.  Each knew something about the others, and it turned out to be white lies.
 
Shaking the memory, she turned to her light lunch.  She couldn't be blamed for their silly squabbles.  She only said the things she did to give them things to aspire to.  Sometimes they were simply lazy.
 
Sighing, she looked at the phone willing it to ring.  Surely, they all knew it was her birthday.  With gentle reminders of the day, she told all of them that no one knew just how many birthdays she had left.
 
Looking further across the room, she glimpsed the silver frames graced with photos of her great grandchildren.  She hadn't met any of them in person.  All her grandchildren had moved to the four corners of the United States.  They claimed they couldn't afford to come and visit.  She knew their cell phones didn't charge for long distance calls, so the phone should ring at least occasionally.
 
Could it be true?  Did she push them all away?  No, the phone would ring and so would the doorbell.  She wouldn't have to spend her birthday alone.
 

 



Recognized


picture courtesy of Pinterest - an 82 year old woman

This character is a main character of a book idea I'm developing in my head. The story will focus around her, her five children and their spouses and the grown grandchildren. Let me know what you think of her, and how I might develop the character to show her manipulative nature.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mustang Patty All rights reserved.
Mustang Patty has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.