General Poetry posted May 12, 2017


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Shaggy Dog Poem Contest Entry

The Tale of the Dutiful Son

by Ogden


Life often is a shaggy dog story.

                                  
                                    The Tale of the Dutiful Son

Ed and his father were buddies all Ed's life, especially since Dad lost his wife.
With Edna gone, no longer henpecked, just he and Ed, Dad loved his new respect. 
At last he was the boss, not the bossee. Ed took his dad's orders seriously.
He loved his dad, the one pal the youth had; Ed was a stalwart, dependable lad.

He'd hang on his father's every word, and dutifully do whatever he heard. 
He might have been slow of wit, but nobody could beat that boy for focus and grit.

One day, Ed went to the barber, and came out of the shop with a shiny, smooth head. 
That was good, thought responsible Ed, doing what his fussy father recently said. 
Hence, hurried he, happily home, hopeful for hearty praise for his newly shorn dome.
No sooner had eager Ed stepped inside, he saw his father looking stupified, 
Dad shouted, and angrily banged the wall, ”Why ever in hell, did you come home bald!?"
Ed, suddenly crushed, replied ruefully, ”Dad, before I went, what did you tell me?"
”Ed.” said Dad, regaining his composure, I just told you to take care of yourself!”
”But Dad,” sadly spoke Ed, "I did exactly what you said, "I took hair off myself."




Shaggy Dog Poetry Contest writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
In case you didn?t know - A shaggy dog story is one that is longer than necessary, generally funny largely because it is absurdly inconsequential or pointless. BUT, DO NOT JUST RAMBLE. WRITE A STORY, AND MAKE IT FUNNY!
Judges will ascertain that entries are, in fact, stories.

Length - from 200 to 400 words
No animation, audio or other special effects.
Two-color only display of font and background.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Ogden All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Ogden has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.