General Fiction posted March 31, 2017


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
a flash fiction.

aberdeen kentucky

by judester


The door slammed shut echoing down the long hall. John tried to wipe the ink off his fingertips, gave up, then lay on the thin bunk bed. The banging doors and continuous shouting seemed muted, faraway.

He blew out his breath in one forceful gust as he gathered his thoughts. Waves of regret, still reeking of tequila shots, washed over him as he recalled the night before.

The beginning of the party was fun, then fell apart as the night went on. Fighting with his best friend on the lawn, his girlfriend crying, as she pulled on his shirt when he tried to get into his truck.

He remembered the familiar country road, and the chilled country air against his face.

Suddenly he sat up, wide awake, as the image slammed into him like a punch.

The deer suddenly jumping into the road and the last minute veering to avoid it. The sickening thud as he hit the two men walking on the roadside.

The bitter irony that the party was a send-off for his trip to Europe was not lost on him.



The Door Slammed writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a story that starts with this sentence: The door slammed, echoing down the long hall..

The catch is this must be flash fiction. So the story should be between 100 and 1,000 words.



Life can change with just one foolish decision. When ever I make a party, I always make sure there are plenty of beds and blankets for my guests to sleep over. I love making a huge brunch the next morning.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. judester All rights reserved.
judester has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.