General Fiction posted March 23, 2017


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
500 words

The Silence Speaks

by frogbook

Kidnapped! Contest Winner 

The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.







On the sunniest of days, my life changed forever.



He was a friend's uncle, gave us rides home from school. Alone when he asked if I wanted a ride, I declined, but he was so convincing, offers of cool ice cream on a warm day.

I climbed in the truck that turned out to be a hearse, the hearse that took my youth to be buried.



Ten years later, I sit in this filthy room, wearing chains. I no longer feel their weight. Memories fade. An hour of panic one day trying to remember my mother's face, finally able to conjure up her twinkling eyes.

Mustn't go to a sad place, for today, I will show my captor my true feelings. He's tried to make me love him. Though I have pretended at times, for my safety, I have nothing but loathing for this animal, he disgusts me, repels me in every fiber. I HATE HIM.

He doesn't know about dropping his knife two days ago, the last time I saw him. Though weak from hunger, the dirty cup of water empty, I must stay strong. My heart pounds as I hear the front door open, footfalls on the stairs.

He comes in with a bag of greasy fast food like he is bringing me a great gift.

"What will you give me for this, my sweet girl?"

Forcing a smile, I say, "Come see," with seductive eyes.

Idiot falls for it, after all the years I have fought him.

"Finally appreciating me? Feeling feisty?"

The words crawl over me like bugs, but I hold one free arm out to him. He throws down the bag and comes to me, puts his hands on me.

The knife slides into his flesh easier than I thought. He is so surprised, I have time to pull it out and strike the second blow. He slowly falls to the bed and I can't stop stabbing.

I finally stop, I wretch, push him aside, use the knife to reach out and pull the bag to me. I take a large bite of greasy hamburger and begin laughing.

When I finally stop, I quietly eat the rest of the food.

Though I have thought of this in advance, I am afraid. What if no one finds me and I die here alone, a rotting corpse for a bedmate?

He told me if anyone comes to rescue me, they die. I longed to call to the nice-looking man next door, but have never dared, not knowing when my jailer would return.

Now I begin hollering at the top of my lungs.

Darkness falls. The house is silent.

Exhausted, I hang my head. Suddenly, the silence speaks.

"Miss? Is there someone here?"

A light on the stairway, another floods my room. I wonder what the kind neighbor thinks of the gory scene, suddenly embarrassed at my own filth.

"Jesus!" is all he can say.

"I don't think he's here," I say. "But then again, maybe he is."


Writing Prompt
You are challenged to write a story about a kidnapping. Maximum word count is 500 words.

Kidnapped!
Contest Winner
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. frogbook All rights reserved.
frogbook has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.