General Fiction posted March 15, 2017


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Based on Robert Frost's Snow Apple tree ( 100 words)

I am Robert Frost : Snow Apple

by Chrissy710


I am one of a kind among many other varieties. Although, standing alone, my harvests are still bountiful, producing tantalizing juicy, sweet tastes readily consumed. Some, however, find me a little sharp, and, consequently I have also been rejected. Being hardy, resilient, and versatile,
I am still considered bright and red by many. My appeal seems to be the deep mysterious lines, often seen as stains upon my pure snow-white flesh. Standing the test of time, branches now old and gnarled, I have outlived my creator. With each passing winter, I still yearn for and enjoy a good Frost.



What kind of apple are you? contest entry

Recognized


As a small child my family would often go to Melbourne passing through a small township of Bacchus Marsh and we would always stop for a bag of their famous 'Snow Apples' (also known as Fameuse (famous in French) is a small to medium red apple that often has green or cream spots.
It has snow white flesh sometimes streaked with crimson and a strawberry like aroma. Distinct in flavor with spicy and sweet notes and a tender juicy flesh.

I often think about these times and only yesterday this subject came up whilst on a trip to Melbourne.

This contest came up and I was searching for some information about this apple variety and I was pleased to discover that the famous American poet Robert Frost had maybe planted a Snow Apple tree on his farm in Vermont.

Snow Apple trees grow in hardiness zones and can stand cold temperatures between -20 to - 30 degree FH. so can tolerates Frosts. There is a 90 year old Snow Apple tree that lives on Robert Frost's farm in Vermont. It is speculated that the poet himself planted it close to his stone House. His Apple orchard was the subject of many of his poems.

There are quite a few articles about his farm and Apple tree on online.

Therefore my contest entry is a personification of Robert Frost as the Snow Apple and my prose is based around his story and I hope I have captured some of his traits in my writing for this contest.

The Apple image is from Google art

Thank you for reading my work

Cheers Christine
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Chrissy710 All rights reserved.
Chrissy710 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.