General Fiction posted February 1, 2017 Chapters: 2 3 -4- 5... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The team votes and recalls the formation of the group.

A chapter in the book The Amazing Heist

The Vote

by aryr



Background
The team members included Abby (Annabelle), Henry, Sally, Paul, Billy and Freddie. Abby has suggested one last job and then retirement for a life from crime.
Chapter Four

Abby was up at five am, too anxious to stay in bed. She was showered and dressed by five forty-five. Breakfast was done by six fifteen. Without delay or hesitation, she had toast, juice and an egg every morning. Breakfast was definitely, the most important meal of the day. On Sundays, she treated herself to breakfast out at either Waffle House or IHOP, where she enjoyed pancakes and bacon. Hot tea was her normal morning drink. Today she prepped the coffee maker as well as the tea maker. There were sodas in the fridge. At seven she had the brain storm to make either cookies or homemade donuts. She finally decided on both. It would be her treat.

Abby knew of Henry's little quirk about women as well as his thing for homemade food, so she never served store bought. She had never told anyone, but other than her Sunday treat she too preferred to prepare and eat at home.

At nine forty-five Henry rang the buzzer and she pressed the entrance code to unlock the downstairs door. Before he shut the door Paul, Billy and Sally followed him in. They all chatted and laughed as they climbed the two flights of stairs. Abby greeted everyone with a hug. Within five minutes Freddie the straggler was there.

They all knew the routine of self-serving for the drinks and Abby brought the plates stacked with cookies and donuts to the table.

"Homemade treats for everyone and there are baggies in the kitchen so you all can take some home. Please take some home." She laughed.

"So how does everyone feel about the idea? We will go around the table and you can each say 'yay' or 'nay' and if you don't mind, please share what you like or don't like about the idea. Freddie how about you go first?" She smiled.

"I like the idea of retirement. As I get older I do worry about getting caught and about what will happen to Lucy and Matilda. But I honestly do have my doubts that we can pull this off."

Henry was next, "Well, being the oldest here, I can certainly say that like Freddie I get worried about being caught. I know each of us are well set for life. However, knowing how Abby is for details, I do think we can do it or she would not have suggested it." He smiled at Abby who had a surprised look.

Billy sat between Henry and Sally, "I agree with what Henry said, all of it, so I vote yes."

Sally smiled as she rested her hand on Billy's arm, "I vote yes as well, where my man goes then I go. But in all sincerity, Billy and I have talked about settling down. You know kids and all that stuff. So being done with this life style would be a great idea."

Paul was the last to vote, "Well never let it be said that I tried to be different. I like everyone else, think it is a great idea to retire and an even better idea to go out big. If Abby feels we can do this then let's do it. Besides, I have to tell you all that Saturday's dinner is at our house. Belinda wants to celebrate. We're pregnant! Sorry Abby, but I couldn't wait any longer."

Shouts of congratulations and raised mugs presided the meeting for several minutes. It was a joyful time for all.

When things had settled down, Abby took over the meeting once again.

"Well it looks like we have one more job to plan. First though I want to tell everyone that we have been a fantastic team and just because we will officially be retiring we will remain family. Family is forever, right? "She smiled as they all nodded.

"I remember meeting Sally at the college, she was fighting with the vending machine. Or rather I thought she was fighting with it, she was really ripping it off. She was ranting about the cost of tuition and then to add insult the prices they charged in the machines."

Billy was poking Sally's shoulder and shaking his finger while the others laughed.

"I took pity on her and bought her a granola bar. It was about a week later that I saw her doing the same thing again. This time I couldn't resist asking her what she was doing wrong? The machines always worked for me. And she looked at me with such innocence and told me that of course they worked for me because I was stupid enough to put money in."

Sally just shrugged her shoulders and said, "So I was into petty crime, I was damn hungry too. Annabelle was my savior. She showed me what real crime was." And she laughed.

"Now in my defense I worked hard during college, but everything I made went to the school or my dingy apartment. There was nothing left over for the nice things now and then. So, I developed the idea that I too should have my share. Sally will tell you that we were a great pair at getting our clothing and jewelry." Abby claimed.

Paul leaned forward, "Then I showed up. For two months, I watched these two lift clothing, jewelry and make up. What they didn't need they sold at flea markets. Finally, I confronted them. I wanted to be a part of it. I was tired of working at the grocery store and feeling like I was getting nowhere. So, I continued to work but learned from the girls on the side. Belinda never had a clue and still doesn't. She thinks I have been promoted and invested well."

Henry was leaning back in his chair, "Billy, Freddie and I were doing odd jobs for whatever came up. One day this guy asked us if we wanted to rob his store. He was getting tired of it and figured if we would rob it then he would collect the insurance and have a new life. He had everything worked out, so we agreed. It didn't make us rich but it was a new adventure."

Abby picked up the conversation again, "I remember when we met you three. You had just robbed a convenience store and were trying to get away. It was hilarious that Freddie's car stalled and the store owner was screaming bloody murder. I couldn't leave you standing there, so I gave you the bumper push which worked. And we became a team, a family."


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. aryr All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
aryr has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.