Fantasy Science Fiction posted January 19, 2017 Chapters:  ...8 9 -10- 11... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Archie and Koko make their way to Hawk House to find info.

A chapter in the book Humanity Project

Hawk House

by davisr (Rhonda)


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.



Background
Archie and Koko have made escape plans starting in the Hawk House, where there's reportedly a book that keeps track of prisoners. Before leaving, they want to find out what happened to Koko's husband.
End of Last Chapter:

"He's waiting behind the Coyote House," Koko said, smiling at Archie's sarcasm. "I have to slip out and hide our burlap bags by the back fence, anyway. I'll talk to him then. Do you have your bag ready?"

"It's upstairs. I'll go get it."

"Good, and, Archie, thank you again."

Archie nodded and slipped out, looking around carefully to make sure Ayala wasn't lurking about.

Koko closed the door and leaned against it, feeling the familiar rough surface with her hands. She squeezed her eyes together as she thought about the uncertainties ahead. Swarmed by a myriad of conflicting emotions, Koko sighed and let her hand fall to the growing bulge in her midsection.

"If only," she said, and then turned and grabbed her burlap bag.


The story continues:

Archie and Koko strode along the path leading to the Hawk House. They took their time so as not to draw unwanted attention. They had already told Ayala they were going for a walk so she wouldn't be suspicious when she saw them leave. She had seemed a bit surprised, but happy the two were getting along.

In the dying rays of sunlight, Archie noticed the rocky path framed by colorful desert plants and wildflowers. As before, he was surprised at the color and variety of vegetation in Hokee. Many species were associated with cacti of different types, but some bloomed in solitary splendor.

Archie breathed in the fragrant scents of sage and lavender, and breathed out days of pent up tension. He imagined he was back in his Ferrari as it tore across the desert plains. In his vision, he skirted safely around the interloping deer.

"Archie?" Koko interrupted. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine," he said, the happy vision disappearing like a drop of water on arid soil.

"We don't have to do this tonight if you're still feeling bad."

"You're the one we need to worry about ... considering your condition," Archie said.

"You mean the baby? Don't start worrying about that now. We've got a long way to go in very bad conditions. If I stay here, Ayala will figure things out and then there's no chance for it at all."

"Okay, then, we're both fit as can be expected."

"Yes."

"Good, so, everything's ready to go," Archie said. "We've gotten our bags packed with food and provisions, you've hidden them by the back fence, and your friend, Sani, is ready to set his diversion, right?"

"Yeah, he said he's preparing several explosions outside animal pens. He promised they won't harm the nasty sheep, but will drive them through a gate he's going to leave open and right into town. The ensuing chaos should give us plenty of cover to get the book we want, then get out of Hokee."

"That's his whole plan; he's going to drive sheep into town?"

"You know how our people hate animals," Koko said.

Archie nodded. He remembered the conversation two days previous when Ayala and Koko both expressed extreme distaste of all animals, and explained how people in Hokee felt the same. When asked why they named their houses after them, neither woman seemed to have a good answer. Archie assumed it had something to do with intimidation and control.

As they approached Hawk House, they took a moment to gaze at the magnificent figure of its namesake chiseled into the house's adobe face. Larger than life, its talons were raised as if to attack, its gaping beak prepared to tear prey into pieces. The last fluorescent glimmers of sun spread a radiant aura around the beast and lit fierce burning eyes.

"I've always detested that thing," Koko said, as they slipped passed its watchful eyes. "It seems to hate everyone not a Hawk."

"I'm pretty sure that was the intention of its artist. Let's just hope that image ends up being our worst problem tonight."

"Yes, let's hope."

Archie and Koko completed their journey to the back of the building and tucked themselves beneath the limbs of a sprawling mesquite tree. The fragrant odor it produced wasn't enough to calm their fears, nor were the protruding thorns. Still, they were so focused on their task, they chose to ignore their trepidation and danger.

Further conversation was halted by the sound and feel of three consecutive explosions. Archie resisted the urge to fall flat on his face and assume a fetal position as he felt the waves from the blasts cover him like a blistering blanket.

Koko reached out and grabbed his hand for moral support, but otherwise seemed unaffected. Archie flashed her an embarrassing smile as they listened to the sound of running feet and screams of frightened people.

"Where did your friend get all that ammo?" Archie asked as he guided Koko to a window.

"He's a miner," Koko reminded him, grabbing the windowsill and pulling herself through. "He told me he had a way of finding whatever he needed, and I didn't pry."

"Well, I'm glad he got hold of it. Perhaps I'm not the only lion in this fold."

"There are lots ... Cougar Kin ... and we'll have to keep an eye out for them as soon as they get the explosion mess figured out."

"Let's find that book, then. Where did Todd say he'd seen it?"

"In the main office." Koko shrugged. "And all I know is it's on the second floor. I've never actually been in here, myself."

"That's a start," Archie said. "Look, there's a staircase on the left."

The two made their way to the stairs without encountering any resistance. Once at the top, they discovered a wide open space filled with soft cushions. Its leisurely appearance was in stark contrast to the austere gathering places of Coyote house. Currently, it was unoccupied.

"I wish we had Todd with us," Archie commented. "He could at least point us in the right direction."

"If Todd were with us, we wouldn't have to be creeping around this horrible place."

"You find it horrible?" Archie asked.

"Worse... sickening."

"That's apparently not how Ayala feels. She seemed to think it's some fairy-tale castle or something."

"First of all, I'm not Ayala, and secondly, I have a feeling she sees it more the same way I do than she wants to admit. She just tries to follow rules and stay out of trouble."

"And you don't?"

"No," Koko said as they slipped quietly down a long hall. "I've become quite the troublemaker of late."

Archie grinned. "Just try and stay out of it until we escape, okay?"

"I'm not promising anything."

Archie had a feeling her idea of trouble wasn't even close to the world's view. Nonetheless, he was glad she was rebellious enough to help with the getaway.

Beyond the meeting area, they found row after row of doors that led, Archie guessed, to dorm rooms. Afraid to open them and find occupants, he continued walking down the hall looking for a room that appeared different. From what he knew about people, Archie figured Leander's office would be more pretentious than the others ... perhaps ornately decorated or gaudy.

Taking their time, they perused the hallway, scanning back and forth with machine-like efficiency. Suddenly, a door burst open and a rather tall spindly man sauntered out.

"What are you doing here, Coyote?" the man demanded, looking at Koko with distaste.

"Escaping," Archie said, punching the man in the jaw and dropping him like a log.

"What did you do that for?" Koko asked, looking at the still form of the man.

"I didn't like the way he was talking to you," he explained, and then added. "We don't have time to stop and make up a story to everyone we see."

"What are we going to do with him? He won't stay unconscious forever."

"He'll be out long enough for us to get done what we need," he replied. "Come on, just leave him there."

Koko shrugged her shoulders and continued down the hall. She had taken Archie for a bit of a wimp, most professors she knew were. She would have to keep his strength and agility in mind. Maybe he would be more help on this venture than she had hoped for. Archie grinned as he rejoined her in the search.

"This has to be it," Koko said when they turned a corner. She grabbed Archie's arm and guided him to, as Archie had guessed, a lavishly carved door.

The large wooden door was standing ajar, evidence of the speed at which its inhabitant left. Inside stood an even more elaborate desk with a soft, comfy chair pushed up to it. Archie could picture the young leader of Hokee sitting in the posh chair enforcing new and more oppressive laws. He wondered how the man could live with himself, or, more importantly, how his infamous father could.

"Do you see the book?" Archie asked while he scanned the desk.

"I see lots of them," Koko replied standing beside a bookshelf, "but I don't know where to look for the one we need."

"Just start grabbing books and pulling them off onto the floor," Archie instructed. "Junior will have much more to get mad at us about than a dirty office before this whole thing is over."

"Okay," Koko agreed, reaching up to pull several off a bookshelf, "but our little adventure is starting to get messier by the minute."

"Can't be helped, just hurry, Miss Troublemaker."

"I am," Koko grinned as she pulled off several more, looking at them once they hit the floor. "Have you found anything in the desk?"

"Not yet," he replied, and then paused. "Wait, I think I've got something. It's a big book titled The Humanity Project. Just beneath the title is the word Hufacs. What does that mean?"

"It's a nickname the scientists call us. It means something like, 'humans used for advanced civilizations'. Are there any maps inside?"

"A few, but they aren't very detailed," Archie said, thumbing through colorful pages. "It starts off with an introduction, and then follows with several chapters, each titled with the different names of your houses. At the end is a long list of names of children, and, at least, one adult parent for each. Under each is the name of an animal, I guess designating the house the child is sent to."

"Wow, a record of the orphans," Koko sighed, "I'd like to look that over later. I can find out if Ayala and I really are twins. But what does it say about prisoners? Is there a chapter about where the mines are?"

"Yeah, here it is," Archie stated, audibly turning pages. "Wow, quite a list. It even tells what house the person is from that is sent there."

"What about Todd? Is his name there?"

"Let me look," Archie answered, still flipping pages. "Yeah, here it is -- the last entry. Sorry Koko, but he was sent four days ago. Let me see if I can find out where the mines are located."

"Wait, I hear someone coming," Koko whispered. "Archie, we're going to get caught if we stay. Just bring the book with us."

"Okay," Archie said, heading for a side door and pulling Koko behind him.

"That's Junior," Koko said as they shut the door and pressed against the wall. "I'm sure of it."

"How do you know?"

"The sound of his footsteps. Everyone in Hokee knows that dreaded sound."



Recognized


A special thanks for the artwork, "In My Sights" by eileen0204.


Summary of the book so far:

Archie Franklin is a United States Senator from the State of Texas. He's also the President's son.
He was traveling the west, scoping out New Mexico for a committee he was on, when a deer ran in front of his Ferrari and caused him to crash.

He was rescued from the desert by a group from a cult-like village called Hokee. In this town, the people are part of an experiment to improve the human condition by taking orphans and raising them isolated from many of the modern conveniences that make mankind weak.

The children, as young as 5, are placed in houses named after animals, but otherwise taught animals are dangerous and unclean. Each "house" has a particular job in the community based on the attributes of the representative animal.

The leader, Leander, chooses what children are brought to the village. He doesn't want anyone to know about the compound so they can maintain isolation. Archie is now a prisoner, but has befriended a young lady, Koko, whose husband has come up missing, and is assumed imprisoned in a penal mining colony.

Working against odds, the two hope to escape and protect Koko's unborn child. Having babies at stage one of the experiment is forbidden by the scientists in charge. Teens are sterilized at puberty to avoid pregnancies, but occasionally one will be conceived. Standard operating procedure is to perform an abortion, but Koko is willing to fight against all she's grown up to believe to give her child a chance at life.

These are the 12 houses of Hokee:

Hawk: Where Leander Jr. lives. They are the strict rulers of the compound, answerable only to Leander Sr..

Cougar: The strong arms of the Hawks. They dish out whatever punishment is required, even to sending miscreants to another settlement they have up North in the mines.

Coyote: The one Archie and Ayala are in: Job: Teachers and professors. Allowed more knowledge of the "outside world".

Ant: Considered unclean, these people tend meat and fur animals outside the village

Tarantula: Architects, and menders

Donkey: Transportation and communication

Wasp: Prepare and serve food

Deer: Sports and entertainment

Hare: Make and distribute clothing

Rat: Childcare

Snake: healthcare

Buzzards: Clean up crew, maintain sewer and custodial chores


General Summary of the Book:

Young Texas Senator, Archie Franklin, finds himself marooned in the desert with a group of people who are more than they appear to be on the surface.

Hokee: Name of the village Archie is held in. It means, "The abandoned."

Characters:

Archimedes (Archie) Franklin: High energy, main protagonist, who is, also, a Senator from Texas, and son of the President of the United States, Andrew Franklin.

Ayala: Female head of household in the house Archie finds himself imprisoned.

Andrew (Andy) Franklin: President of the United States, and father of Archie.

Koko: Ayala's best friend in Coyote House, close as sisters, born on the same day.

Todd: Koko's husband

Sani: Old man. Used to be a miner up north. Another trapped refugee from the desert. An ally in the quest to escape.

Others to be listed as they appear in the book.




Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by eileen0204 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. davisr (Rhonda) All rights reserved.
davisr (Rhonda) has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.