Self Improvement Fiction posted December 1, 2016 Chapters: 2 -3- 4... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Gary makes one of the most important decisions of his life.

A chapter in the book One man's journey to get clean

The Decision

by Mustang Patty

"You're very lucky. It just so happens that someone left the program today, and we have an open bed. If you can be here in the next hour, the bed is yours. Do you think you could do that? Would you like to enter the program tonight?"

Hearing the words, he knew this was a turning point in his life. It was up to him. Would this be the point where he changed his life for the better? Or would he start to find excuses of why he couldn't and shouldn't go.

She's waiting for an answer, he reminded himself. Say something.

"I need to be there in an hour?"

He could hear the shaking in his voice. Was the shaking because he needed to use? Or was he shaking because of the adrenaline rush. No, he was shaking because he was at a pivotal moment in his life. He knew his mother had been praying for a free recovery center for months. They couldn't afford it any other way. Was this the answer to his prayers; to his problems? Could it be . . .?

"I can only hold the bed for an hour. We have waiting lists and calls every day. I'm offering the bed to you because you sound ready. Was I wrong?"

"No. You're not wrong. I'm ready. What is the address there? I need to call an Uber."

"If you tell me where you are, I can send our van to get you. Don't worry about anything. We have everything you need here."

Her voice sounded reassuring. She was trying to help. He needed to deal with the doubts in his mind. He needed to think about turning everything around. The detox would be hell, but he knew he would come out the other side.

"I'm at the Country Squire Diner out by Highway 26. I'm not sure of the address."

"Don't worry. I'm sure we can find you. Now, you need to know that you will be searched when you enter the facility. Anything illegal you have in your possession will be confiscated. We do this for everyone's protection."

"I'm okay with that." He mentally searched his backpack. He didn't have any drugs, but he did have a few pipes. He was sure they'd seen that before. Other than the pipes and two changes of clothes, along with his toothbrush and other personal items, he traveled light.

He would call his mother while he waited for the van. He needed to let her know he was finally getting help. He needed to hear her voice. He had no idea when he would be able to call again. Did they take his cell phone away from him? That would almost be a relief. No phone calls from people needing to use and no stress from his supplier.

"I'll wait for the van right out front."

"Someone will be there in about 15 minutes. It's a big white van. You can't miss it. Do you want me to stay on the phone with you until they get there?"

"No, I need to make an important call. Don't worry, I will be here."

He broke the connection, and scrolled through his contacts to find his mom.





This story is just one man's journey from the destructive path of drug use. I'm basing some of the dialogue on intake conversations I've experienced in different situations. Since I've never used drugs, I'm doing as much research as I can by reading different books and talking with counselors, but its all based on my prayers for my son.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mustang Patty All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Mustang Patty has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.