General Fiction posted November 15, 2016


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Flash Fiction

A Strange Story

by Bridge

I find it hard to sit still . How could something like this happen to me ? My heart starts
to beat loudly and I can feel the rising sense of panic . I force myself to take deep
breaths . I look at my watch . Just an hour left . It would take about half an hour to
reach the airport from here , so I can still make it . But where is Officer Marsh ? I get up
and start to pace the floor . I shouldn't have agreed to spend the morning with John .
But I'd found it difficult to refuse him . I had planned to reach airport by afternoon for my evening flight . I wanted to spend some time browsing the airport bookshops . I love bookshops .

I look at my watch . Not much time left now . I stare down the hallway . Still no sign of Officer Marsh . John was always getting into trouble . But where was John ? Did he setup the whole thing ? Nah, why would he do that to me ? He has always been good to me , ever since I saved him from getting caught cheating . Then where was he ?

John had wanted us to spend the morning together . I couldn't refuse him . I was leaving for good and would probably never meet him again . I was very happy and excited to be going home . Finally I was returning to my beloved country , my village , my home and my parents . I'd been so happy when I had got the scholarship to study at the University of Pittsburgh . When I'd left home four years ago I didn't think I'd miss everything so much . Things in India are so very different..

John had come to pick me quite early in the morning . He and Greg came around in a bright new black BMW . I had never seen the car before . As soon as I was settled in John said, " Come on, lets go to Frankie's for brekkie ."
" What time will you be reaching Mumbai ? " asked Greg .
" Well after midnight ," I replied .
" How will you go home ? Will your parents be coming to the airport ? "
" No , they won't be able to make it . Mumbai is a city that never sleeps , so I should be fine ."
" When will reach your village ? "
" Tomorrow afternoon . "
" Here we are... , " said John .

Frankie was one of our old haunts . As we entered we could smell the familiar aroma of coffee . His cappuccino was by far the best I'd ever had . John and Greg ordered waffles with ice-cream while I ordered my favourite 'Egg Benedict .'

While we waited we talked of the fun times we'd had together over the last four years .
After breakfast , as we piled into the car John said , " Let's take this beauty for a drive ."
" Is this your Dad's new car ? " I asked .
" No , Dad wouldn't let me borrow his car , " replied John .
" Then how did you get this baby ? "
" Let's just say I borrowed it from my neighbour ," replied John as both he and Greg burst out laughing .
" Old Smith lent you this baby ? "
" Noooo, not exactly, " replied John as he exchanged looks with Greg again .
" But you just said you... wait a minute...Oh ! God no ! Please don't tell me you took it without asking ? "
" Well , we are just borrowing it for the morning... Greg do you have your mobile with you ? My battery just died ," said John
Greg felt in his pockets and said , " Sorry mate , I left it at your house..you know when we..."
" Oh ! That's no good . I wasn't concentrating where we were going and ..." said John .
" Don't tell me we're lost . I need to get back now . I have a plane to catch , "
I said .

" We are lost , but we'll figure out a way to get back . Don't panic ! " replied John .
" First you steal this car and now we are lost . I don't want to be a part of this anymore . I would have never come if I'd known you'd stolen this car . Just let me out somewhere and I'll make my way back , " I said.

" But you don't even have a phone with you and I'm really not sure how far from the city we are at .... Oh ! Look ! There's a convenience store....let's ask there , " said John .

I jumped out of the car as soon as John stopped and rushed inside . As I entered I was surprised to see there was no one around . The blinds were drawn . I thought it was very strange . I tripped over a rifle lying on the ground . I picked it up and put it on the checkout counter . I rang the bell on the counter but no one appeared . As I walked down the first aisle I saw a man lying in a pool of blood .

" Oh ! My God ! Help ! ," I shouted as I rushed outside to get John but they weren't there and neither was the car . I stood there dumbfounded . Just then a police car pulled up with its siren blaring , with two officers inside .
" Oh ! Thank goodness ! You are here . A man... , " I said .
" We know. We got a call , " said one of the officers as the other officer went inside to check on the man .
" It's too late. He's gone , " he said as he came back outside .
They then turned to me and asked me how I happened to be present there ." You have to come with us to the police station , " said Officer Marsh .
" But I have a flight to catch , " I replied
" When is your flight ? "
" In the evening ."
" You should be fine . You have to come with for now . It is just routine investigation ."

And here I am , waiting for Officer Marsh , so that I can leave for the airport . Finally ! Here he comes but he looks quite grim . My heart is thudding loudly and my ears are buzzing..

" I am sorry . Your fingerprints were found on the rifle that killed Douglas , the owner of the store . We can't let you go just yet , " he says.
" But my flight.. "
" I am sorry , you will have to miss this flight , "
No , this cannot be . I can't help it and just burst out in loud sobs....





Lost writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
You have plans to travel to someplace. However you get lost on your way. Write a flash fiction based on this prompt.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Bridge All rights reserved.
Bridge has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.