General Fiction posted November 1, 2016


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Stacey shares her story.

Bottled Dreams

by Heather Knight

Hello, my name is Stacey and I'm an alcoholic. Let me tell you my story.

I've lived in London all my life. When I was seventeen, I met Steve and we fell in love. He was really sweet to me and treated me like a princess. Mum didn't trust him though.

'You're very young,' she used to say. 'Finish your studies. Travel the world. You have plenty of time to settle down.'

However, I was very much in love and ignored her advice. I even thought she was jealous because I was happier than she was.

We got married when we were both nineteen. The first few months were perfect, but soon things started going south. Steve would stay out late after work. If I asked him where he had been, he shouted at me.

'Mind your own business, you stupid bitch.'

The insults were followed by punches and even kicks. The following morning, he always apologized and I forgave him, but a few days later the same thing would happen again.

One day, I put on a pair of tight jeans to go out with my friends and he made me change. Then he cut the offending jeans into pieces and threw the pieces out of the window. He chose my shampoo, my make up and even the books I read and the food I ate. He forbade me to see my parents...

When he wasn't at home, I would call Mum and she would comfort me.

'You have to leave him, Stacey.' Mum told me.

'I can't, Mum. I love him,' I said.

It seems unbelievable now, but back then I couldn't imagine a life without him.

One Friday, he got so drunk that when he came back home at around three in the morning, he could hardly walk. I tried to help him, but he pushed me and I fell, hitting my head hard against the floor. Luckily, nothing happened, but something inside me snapped.

When he was in bed, I went to the kitchen to look for some of the gin he stashed under the sink. I took a big swig and felt the drink course through my veins. It was as if somebody had turned on a radiator inside me. I waited a bit and felt how the sadness and the pain in my body became dull. I drank a bit more and I felt almost happy. When I finished the bottle, I understood why Steve drank.

That was the beginning of the end. From that day, I lived for the lonely moments in which I could enjoy drinking and forgetting.

Luckily, my Mum eventually saved me from my destructive marriage and has now brought me here.

Thanks for listening to me.



The Drink writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
You (or your character) take a sip of a drink and feel different. What happens?
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Heather Knight All rights reserved.
Heather Knight has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.