General Fiction posted August 30, 2016


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Not the best of neighbours

Old Mrs Lee

by Heather Knight


I was sitting on the porch, drinking lemonade, when I saw my neighbour, Mrs Lee, walking up her path carrying a bag full of groceries.

Mrs Lee is very unpleasant. Whenever I can, I avoid her. This time, I pretended to look down at the glass in my hands with great interest, till I heard a big clunky noise. I looked up and saw she had fallen. The contents of her bag were spread out on the lawn and she was lying on her back.

It had to be done, I had to help her. I briefly considered calling the Fire Brigade and telling them what had happened, but decided against it. They might think I was wasting their time.

I walked towards her, my heart in my mouth.

'Good afternoon, Mrs Lee,' I said.

'What's good about it?' she retorted. 'Come on, help me stand up, young man.'

I did as I was told, but it was tough. She was a lot heavier than me and didn't do much to help.

'Pull, pull,' she kept on shouting.

'I AM pulling,'

I managed to make her stand on the fifth try. By then, I was desperate to get to the safety of my own home, but I had to help her pick up her groceries.

I paced around her garden, finding a tomato here and a tin there, till she was satisfied we had everything.

'Do you want me to carry this for for you?'

'What a stupid question! I'm in no fit state to carry anything myself.'

When we got to her front door, she turned around and got the groceries.

'Give me my bag. I hope you haven't stolen anything from me. I'll call the cops if you have,' she said, slamming the door on my face.













A Good Turn Gone Wrong writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Please write a very short story based on trying to help someone, but it's not appreciated. Fun or serious. No poetry.

MAX words - 300
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by supergold at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Heather Knight All rights reserved.
Heather Knight has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.