General Fiction posted August 22, 2016


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
I always wanted a garden like this

Dream Garden

by Heather Knight

Sense of Place Short Story Contest Winner 

It was just seven hundred square meters, but to me it was a slice of paradise. The little lot was packed with huge oaks, some maples and a lot of other trees whose name I didn't know. There were also wild rose bushes and huge mossy boulders here and there. It was just perfect.

'Let's buy it, shall we?' I said to my husband.

'We'll have to look at the numbers first,' he answered. My husband likes to think things over, he doesn't have an impulsive bone in his body ... unlike me.

As luck would have it, the asking price had gone down because of the crisis and we could afford it. Now I only had to wait for my beautiful wooden house to be built.

Three months later, the house was brought and put in place by a huge lorry. It was as if had sprouted from the ground, it merged so well with its surroundings.

Once the house was in place, it became our weekend refuge.

I love sitting in my porch and looking at the garden or opening the living-room window and caressing a tree branch.

But I'm not the only one who likes my garden. Apart from the obvious insects and birds, we now have four cats that spend most of their day lazing there and waiting to be fed.

My favorite birds are the robins. There used to be squirrels as well, but they have disappeared for some reason.

I remember watching a squirrel one morning while it chewed on a piece of stale bread I had left out to throw away.

The garden goes through many changes throughout the year. It's at its most beautiful in the spring, when the grasses grow green and lush. Then, I love lying on my swing and just watching the beauty that surrounds me.

Summer takes its toll. Everything becomes yellow in the heat and it's time to weed.

I hate to see the oak trees become bare in autumn. Without their leaves, the house becomes exposed to curious eyes,

Then winter comes and with it the bitter cold of Castille. However, I remain undeterred and spend as much time as I can in my beloved garden, watching different colored flowers grow. I even sit outside, to my neighbors' amazement, wrapped warm in my coat and blanket.

It seems like no big deal, a small wild garden in the middle of nowhere. But it is a big deal . All my life I wanted to have a house and it took me forty-nine years to get it. Finally, my dream has come true.

I have my own plants, my own weeds and my own little piece of sky. I even have my own grumpy cats.

What else can a girl wish for?


Writing Prompt
Write a 400 to 700 word essay describing a place. This should be a descriptive short story, make sure you describe the place very well. This place you are describing can not be a place in your imagination, dreams, ext. It has to be a real place, preferably a place you know very well. You do not have to have been to this place, and this can be a made up story. Be creative and descriptive!

Sense of Place Short Story
Contest Winner
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Heather Knight All rights reserved.
Heather Knight has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.