Family Non-Fiction posted August 4, 2016


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
What to do?

The Kid Wouldn't Eat!

by Ogden


As a young child, I was a poor eater and skinny. I was healthy, but didn't seem to enjoy most foods. My dad, the creative one in the family, found a foolproof way to get me to eat eggs.

We had a deal. He would make an "American Opolus," (Dad was an optometrist, and, thus, the name) a flat, circular omelet with a big, round hole in the center, encircling a perfect portion of grape jelly. I would eat, transfixed, forgetting that it was an egg, while listening to an impromptu story about his childhood family mongrel dog, Puppy. Puppy smoked cigars, rode a bicycle, and performed many other remarkable, un-canine acts.

This once-a-week routine continued, probably for a couple of years, into a time when it no longer was a ruse. At some point, I became aware that I was eating a concoction that wasn't all that good, and, no doubt realized that the stories were kinda corny - but I played along, just to spend those precious extra minutes with my Dad.



The Enjoyment of Eating! writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
The enjoyment of eating! Yes, the contest entries can be about eating enjoyment, but they can also be about enjoyable times that happened while eating. Topic does not have to be addressed directly, but must be incorporated into piece. Readers should be able to laugh at the entries! Any type of submission, poetry, non-fiction, fiction, etc., is welcome. Works must be 300 words or less. Word count must be listed in author's notes.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Ogden All rights reserved.
Ogden has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.