Family Non-Fiction posted March 13, 2016


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A lifelong affair with corned beef and cabbage

One of my Favorite Meals

by jmdg1954









The enamored St. Patricks Day meal of corned beef, cabbage and potatoes is only a few days away. My wife bought the key ingredients this morning. A five pound corned beef and two heads of cabbage. In recent years, cabbage typically has been on sales for the holiday at nine cents a pound. This year it's on sale for seventeen cents per pound and I have no clue why. But, does it really matter? It's a key ingredient adding a fine savory and earthy flavor.

Another key ingredient in the corned beef and cabbage dinner... The beverage. The bubbly. The brew. The beer! Later in the week I'll pick up my Guinness four-pack, in bottles.

Although my heritage is Italian and I could literally eat past three hundred and sixty-three days a year, I must keep that final day for corned beef and cabbage. It always has been and probably will always be one of my favorite meals.

When I was younger, I remember my mother boiling the corned beef in an aluminum stock pot with those seasonings on the stove for hours. Before I left for school she would be at the kitchen counter prepping the cabbage, potatoes and carrots in time for this full day affair.

After the corned beef had been cooking, she would poke at it with her finger to determine how much time remained. A trick only the finest of chefs can master. Then at the proper time, she would add the cabbage (quartered) and carrots. With one final step remaining she'd add the white potatoes. There wasn't a meal or a dish my mother couldn't cook, and cook well!

At around 5:00pm, the table would be set because dinner was always served at 5:30. She would arrange the corned beef in the center of a platter, cabbage on one end, potatoes on the other and those carrots scattered about.
There would be a dish of spicy mustard for us to share and rye bread for me and Mom. Dad still required his Italian bread. He always claimed rye bread and white bread where like chewing gum! She did a great job with this Irish meal for being a full blooded Italian, born and raised in Italy.

Later on in life, I met, dated and married my wife, who also enjoyed this Irish meal. Years later our three children did as well. Our daughter, who lives in Maryland makes a special trip to visit us when it just so happens corned beef and cabbage is on the menu. What is so mystical or mythical about this meal?

Maybe there's something to the premise, "Everyone's Irish on St. Paddy's Day"!



Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. jmdg1954 All rights reserved.
jmdg1954 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.