Spiritual Non-Fiction posted August 26, 2014


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
the need for spiritual discernment in the Christian church

Crying WOLF Correctly

by Deniz22


This ancient tale concerns a shepherd boy who repeatedly tricks nearby villagers into thinking a wolf is attacking his flock. When one actually does appear and the boy again calls for help, the villagers do not come, thinking that it is another false alarm and so the sheep are eaten by the wolf.

It seems that some in the church are always crying "wolf" over every little stir in the spiritual grass. Still others never alarm the flock, and sleep soundly in the presence of real danger. These people can be quite grumpy when momentarily raised from their customary deep sleep. They have been known to hurl their slippers at even true alarms.

Yet there really is an Enemy lurking about every flock of Christ, the Good Shepherd. He is not imaginary. Christ describes him this way:

"Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves. Matthew 7:15 (NKJV)

Christ reveals their inner intent:

" The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy." John 10:10

In sharp contrast to the thief is Christ's description of Himself: "I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep." John 10:11

The best way to identify the wolves who are in sheep's clothing is to listen to the Chief Shepherd:(Jesus) and His under shepherds, the Apostles and whatever Pastors adhere to their collective teachings.

False alarms only harden everyone to the real danger. Have the facts, compare them with spiritual understanding that springs from the Scriptures, and then yell your head off. The Apostles did. The Apostle Paul's last address to the Ephesian elders (Pastors) contained this warning: "Therefore take heed to yourselves and to all the flock, among which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to shepherd the church of God which He purchased with His own blood.

29 For I know this, that after my departure savage wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock. 30 Also from among yourselves men will rise up, speaking perverse things, to draw away the disciples after themselves. 31 Therefore watch, and remember that for three years I did not cease to warn everyone night and day with tears. Acts 20:28-31

Did you catch that? "Also from among yourselves men will rise up, speaking perverse things, to draw away the disciples after themselves."

Perhaps some of those standing there would participate in harming the church...food for thought.

The Apostle Peter:
2 But there were also false prophets among the people, even as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Lord who bought them, and bring on themselves swift destruction.

2 And many will follow their destructive ways, because of whom the way of truth will be blasphemed. 3 By covetousness they will exploit you with deceptive words; for a long time their judgment has not been idle, and their destruction does[a] not slumber. 2 Peter 2 (NKJV)

There is cause for alarm...always! Let us clearly identify the real cause and then raise the alarm.

"Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour." 1 Peter 5:8





There is a huge emphasis in the sermons and hymns of the contemporary Christian church on only the positive aspects of Christianity. We need to be more balanced in our understanding of how things are in the spiritual world.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Deniz22 All rights reserved.
Deniz22 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.