Commentary and Philosophy Poetry posted April 23, 2013 Chapters:  ...19 20 -21- 22... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Embracing wabi-sabi in tanka fashion

A chapter in the book Conversations in Poetry

tanka (old man gazes upon)

by ~Dovey

Old man gazes upon
Fallow field, from weathered chair,
Eyes glisten with tears
Silent remnants speak to him
Of his Son's unfinished life




Tanka syllable count 5-7-5-7-7

Many thanks to Keri Harrish for the use of the artwork.


Write a poem - on the subject "wabi-sabi" (not "wasabi").

Definition of wabi-sabi:

Wabi-sabi represents a comprehensive Japanese world view or aesthetic centered on:

1. acceptance of transience and imperfection. The aesthetic is sometimes described as one of beauty that is "imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete".

2. based on the concept of Buddhist teaching of the three marks of existence, specifically:

a) impermanence, b) suffering and c) emptiness or absence of self-nature (ego).

3. Characteristic themes of the wabi-sabi aesthetic include:

a) asymmetry b) asperity (roughness or irregularity) c) simplicity d) economy, e) austerity f) modesty g) the ingenuous integrity of natural objects and processes (e.g a broken tea cup).

My thanks to my friend, Ritchie, whom I met here at FanStory, for sponsoring the contest (which was already full) that enlightened me to the concepts of wabi-sabi. I hope I understood in proper fashion and did justice to this style on my first attempt.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. ~Dovey All rights reserved.
~Dovey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.