General Poetry posted April 16, 2013 Chapters:  ...13 14 -15- 16... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Quatrains, abab rhyme scheme-see author's notes

A chapter in the book Conversations in Poetry

No Happiness To Share

by ~Dovey

The prompt today, a happy poem
In aftermath of tragedy.
Blank pages filled an empty tome,
As chains restrained those hearts once free.

The message sent, you cannot run
To escape evil in the world.
Fall; pride and greatness come undone,
As bloodstained banner flies unfurled.

"No comment." Seal borders and lips
Of this bruised and battered nation.
Let media not strengthen grip
Of terror, through information.

Talk of heroes and charity,
Lament lack of humanity.
Don't dwell upon disparity,
Nor feed madman's insanity.

Shelter our children's precious eyes,
Clouds of smoke shroud their innocence.
Dust settles amidst mother's cries,
Let justice demand recompense.




Today's prompt was for a Happy Poem... that didn't happen.

I had meant to try a new style, the Pantun, which I will describe below, and started with, somewhat, though I think I'll save the true attempt for a happier day. I'd be appreciative to know if I managed this at all, but I think the quatrains were taken over by the mood of the day, succumbing to the Boston Marathon tragedy instead. My heartfelt thoughts and prayers to all the families needing strength in the face of this horrific tragedy.

In its most basic form the pantun consists of a quatrain which employs an abab rhyme scheme. A pantun is traditionally recited according to a fixed rhythm and as a rule of thumb, in order not to deviate from the rhythm, every line should contain between eight and 12 syllables. "The pantun is a four-lined verse consisting of alternating, roughly rhyming lines. The first and second lines sometimes appear completely disconnected in meaning from the third and fourth, but there is almost invariably a link of some sort. Whether it be a mere association of ideas, or of feeling, expressed through assonance or through the faintest nuance of a thought, it is nearly always traceable" The pantun is highly allusive and in order to understand it readers generally need to know the traditional meaning of the symbols the poem employs.

Thank you, photobeat, for the use of the artwork.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. ~Dovey All rights reserved.
~Dovey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.