General Fiction posted December 29, 2012


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
flash fiction - 790 words

Alone

by fayesh

So much of our lives revolve around others that the thought of being alone for some conjures a psychological fear of alienation and isolation.  For many, this fear drives them to search for crowds in which to lose themselves before the apparition of fear engulfs them and drives them mad.  Such was the case of Norena; she was a social butterfly, always at one party or another, always searching for crowded venues to participate.   It was only at night that she was ever alone.

She had tried the series of roommates, but they never lasted long.  Unfortunately, her need to cling to others for fear of being alone became annoying, and ultimately drove them away.  Even her romances were failures because she wanted too many sleepovers and commitments.  Norena needed to be with someone all the time even to the point of working late into the next shift for fear of going home to an empty apartment.

The company where Norena worked was cutting back, and she was let go.   What was she to do all alone for twenty-four hours of the day?  Norena went directly from her job to the coffee shop downstairs to look through the ads for work, any work.  She could not be by herself for long periods of time.  The fear of being alone was too overwhelming.  As she perused the want ads, another customer asked permission to be seated across from her.  She looked up into the blue eyes of a bearded man and nodded.  No words were exchanged.

The bearded man began to speak, “Job hunting?”  Norena just looked up at him and responded, “Just checking.  Now, if you don’t mind, I‘d rather not converse.”

“Okay by me,” the man replied, and picked up his coffee and left.

It was getting late.  Soon the crowds would cease and the street would become empty.  Norena had to get home before rush hour ended.   Rather than hail a cab and spend money, Norena decided to walk the five blocks to her home while there were still people about.  The fear was approaching as the crowds thinned out for those last three blocks.  Stores were closed and the sidewalks emptied.  She began to walk faster.  Then, other steps broke the silence around her.  Someone was walking behind her.  The steps were getting closer.  She dared not look.  She was alone except for those steps.

As she turned the corner to her street, the footsteps seemed to be coming closer.  She ran the rest of the way and up the steps to her apartment building.  Safely inside, she waited to see who had been walking behind her.  No one appeared.

Norena entered the apartment and turned on all the lights, the TV, the radio in the kitchen just to have sound, just to shield her from the quiet and the fear.   She needed to speak to someone.  Who could she call?   With no living relatives and no real friends, who could she call?  Even the party people were strangers and seemed to avoid her.  Besides, those parties were never personal ones, but ones open to the public.  Ultimately, these public parties would have to be sacrificed since she could no longer afford, without a job, the cost of admission.

Suddenly, the lights went out, and the TV turned off.  Tonight was not the night to be in the dark; the fear was seeping into her.   Nervously, she searched for the flashlight; she could not find it.  There was nothing left to do but to go next door and ask for help.

A new resident had moved into the apartment next door.  Norena had yet to see the new occupant, but it was the fear of the dark and the silence, not curiosity that drove her to knock on the door of her neighbor.  The door opened, and Norena sighed.  Before her stood the blue eyes of the bearded man in the coffee shop.  Nervously, she pretended not to recognize him, but noticed he had electricity.

“Sorry to bother you, but I have no electricity and wondered if that was the case with you, but apparently it isn’t.”

The man responded, “No, I’m fine,” and was about ready to shut the door when Norena found the courage to speak.  “I’m sorry about the coffee shop, but I can’t go back into my apartment; it’s dark.  Please help me.”

Without saying anything, the man nodded and followed Norena back to her place.  He didn’t speak a word, but went to the fuse box in back of a closet and turned the lights back on.  She thanked him and as he left, he turned around and said, “Listen, I’m next door.  If you need anything, I’m here.  You’re not alone.”




Flash Fiction Writing Contest contest entry


Thanks to MoonWillow for the lovely artwork.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by MoonWillow at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. fayesh All rights reserved.
fayesh has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.