General Fiction posted September 26, 2012


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A Man Finds Something From His Past.

Illusion

by joann r romei

Found It Contest Winner 
I found it at the bottom of the junk drawer along with a few paper clips. Odd such a thing should reappear at this particular time in my life. Only the Good Lord knows how long it sat there buried under the dishwasher manual collecting dust. Strange how I never thought about the subject much lately, when in the past it was the only thing I fixated on for hours. Sadly I shook my head, valuable time wasted with nothing earned.

I went to the kitchen and held it under the sink. The water rinsed the grime off, and I held it up to the sunlight. Not a scratch on it. Turning it around, and around, I marveled at how something could look exactly as it did the day I bought it.

Unlike my physical self, it was intact and sharp. I ran my fingers over the groves. The excitement of touching it, flooded my heart, making me want to show it off like a homely girl would an engagement ring. I set it down and reflected on all the possibilities it gave me at a time when I needed peace in my life. But like haunting whispers, I remembered vividly the exact words I'd told myself long ago.

It's an illusion, a dream, a fantasy of the mind.

There is nothing real about this moment at all. Yet under the circumstances this moment seems to present itself as likely and reasonable. I paused and the sting of those words felt as fresh as the first time I'd said them, bringing clarity as blinding as a blue sky.

And like meeting an old lover, I was seduced by the promise of my secret desire, and could taste the power it had over me. A force lead me to the table. I sat in the chair and smiled, knowing it was the only way. Sweat formed on my brow, but my heart beat normally. This reckless sensation will finally set me free.

My thumb was positioned exactly where it should be. I hooked my hand around the Glock.

The rest was easy...







Writing Prompt
Write a story where your character found something that impacts his or her life. Maximum word count: 2,000 words.

Found It
Contest Winner

Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. joann r romei All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
joann r romei has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.