General Poetry posted July 29, 2012


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
History to present, the South has made changes

Deep South

by HAPPIOTTER

Huge white columns stand tall, with cracks about paint once beautifully surfaced.

Land of rolling hills past, with memories a pasture so green. Sweet honeysuckle, blackberries abundant, clover necklace painstakingly created.

The heat bares down on the skin from above. Baking the corn to a crisped brown parch.

Winding drive exists under trees hugging the path so tightly. Cars now travel where horses galloped loud.

Many to the death work for reasons only the greedy selfishly see. Now those ghosts haunt the walls and paths beyond our eyes.

The wind through the willow tree blows so softly. A perfume of gardenia and magnolia sweep through my thoughts.

The Deep South has a face of lost times but remains the center for which my memories rest.



Recognized


I grew up in Alabama. This is a free verse of my memories.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. HAPPIOTTER All rights reserved.
HAPPIOTTER has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.