General Poetry posted August 24, 2011


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Written about a painting I saw.

Old Decrepit Woman Revised.

by Justin Chopin

Old Decrepit Woman

Old decrepit woman, the woes of all my prayers and grieving.

Still shivering in your silence as you hold your bruised and beaten baby.

Old decrepit woman, perishing in the sweltering Mexican sands.

Hold on dear lady.


Old decrepit woman, weltering, ravished and ripped apart
.
Like a raisin losing its breath.

Old decrepit woman, here comes putrid Poseidon.

Poor Daughter of Eve, prepare yourself for death.


Old decrepit woman, they've thrown you into the snake pit.

They've stolen all of your possessions and all of your land.

Old decrepit woman, now decaying with worms in the terrible terrain.

Oh yes, you poor soul, it was all planned.


Old decrepit woman, your soul cries goodbye.

Old decrepit woman, it is always the innocent ones who must die.



Recognized


Thankfully this was not written about an actual person but rather a painting. When I was at St. Andrew's my Poetry Professor made us go to an art exhibition the school was having and told us to write an Ekphrastic about one of the paintings we saw. The one I saw to me looked like an old dying woman who could die in a split second. The references to Dauther of Eve and Poseidon are their to inform you that this woman is a child of God innocent as a new born baby but like all people she must be destroyed by death which " Poseidon" the great mythical god of the sea symbolizes. An Ekprhastic if you were wondering is basically a piece of art that is based on another piece of art which in the case of this piece was a poem written about a college students very real and very gritty depection of an elderly woman about to meet her maker.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Justin Chopin All rights reserved.
Justin Chopin has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.