General Non-Fiction posted December 26, 2010


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Another songbird hits the window

A Christmas Miracle?

by Realist101

A soft thud. Another bird splayed on the ground, stunned and dazed. My son picks the magnificent male cardinal up, cradling it in the palm of his hand. It looks up at him as if to say, "What on earth happened to me?"

He sits it gently on top of a fencepost and we watch it from inside, checking every few minutes to see if it has flown away. It sits there for over forty minutes, flipping its tail, and shaking its head back and forth. I comment that it probably has brain damage, or severe nerve damage and that we may have to put it out of its misery.

I keep working on our Christmas dinner, peeking out the window every few minutes. The bird still sits there, his movement like a little mechanical statue run by batteries. I almost begin to cry, not wanting another window fatality. Especially on Christmas.

Finally, I mutter a simple little prayer ... "Please let him fly away and be okay. No death today, not today. Please, not on Christmas. Show me what you can do, Lord. Show me."

And He did.



Recognized


A Christmas prayer answered. Written in flash form. Thanks for reading and to donkeyoatey for this perfect photo. This looks exactly like "our" little guy.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Realist101 All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Realist101 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.