General Fiction posted November 28, 2010 Chapters:  ...11 12 -13- 14 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The news is developing fast and furious

A chapter in the book Redemption

The Newspaper

by bhogg

Background: Dax Connor rescued Lael Jackson from an attempted rape, subduing the two assailants, who were later found dead. Dax has been charged to stay in town until the investigation is complete. Lael has invited him to stay with her mom and herself. Dax inadvertently finds himself dropped right in the middle of a complicated drug conspiracy. Characters are listed in author notes.

From Previous Chapter:  Dax and Jimmy worked the crime scene with Sheriff Alva Bailey and Deputy Nikki Tate.  Surprising to Dax, the reunion with the Sheriff was a good one.


****************************************

As he drove from the warehouse, Bailey thought to himself, that was about the best crime scene investigation I've ever been through. If things were a bit different, I wouldn't mind working with Dax Connor again. The part about hearing from him through my connections was a small lie, but maybe partially true.

In fact, that information came to him from his 4:30 a.m. conversation with Paul Boudreaux. His mind drifted back to that call.

"I recently left the Jackson place and confirmed that this was the guy I thought. Dax Connor is in fact, an ex agent of the Secret Service. Not only Secret Service, but a branch called Advanced Strategic Protective Services, normally called ASPS. Like the snake, these guys are bad news.

"I haven't heard of them."

"Well, Sheriff, that's not surprising. Most people haven't. As you know, a primary role of the Secret Service is to protect identified key people. This little branch is an extreme one. They protect by being proactive, neutralizing the threat before it happens. In simple terms, these guys are the tip of the spear. Dax was one of the sharpest."

"If he was so damn good, why did they kick him out?"

"It's a fascinating story. Jimmy already told you about Dax losing his family. They were killed by a Hezbollah splinter group. The leader of that group was a supposed double agent of value and also the son of a Jordanian Ambassador. Dax was asked to not pursue him. Old school Dax did what he was told, but the numb nuts Jordanian came after him. He killed the guy along with two of his buddies as they broke into his house."

The Sheriff looked puzzled. "Sounds like a righteous killing. Why would that get him in trouble?"

"Ah - it was the way he killed him. The guy was handcuffed at the time. Dax shot him in the upper leg and shattered his femur. He then used his heel to grind into the wound. This actually is a torture technique he might have learned from our Egyptian friends. It isn't as good as water boarding, but it has been successful in loosening tongues. The guy spilled his guts. Dax got enough information to thwart a major Al Qaida operation. They had planned an aerial dispersion of Anthrax inside of Grand Central Station. Thousands of people may have been killed. I'm not sure he was trying to kill the guy, but he bled out."

"It's confusing to me. It sounds like he should have been a hero."

"There's one small problem. The Government can't acknowledge that the information was gathered by torture. Dax is connected to the right people, to include a couple of senators and the Vice President. If he hadn't been, he might have met an unfortunate accident. Instead, he wound up getting an early promotion and then was given a full medical retirement."

The Sheriff was fully awake now. "Okay, so now we know who he is for sure. What is it you're recommending that we do?"

"It's your call, Sheriff, but I would do everything possible to make it easy for him to leave. You don't need to wait for the powder residue tests to come back. Dax didn't kill my two guys. I've got enough to worry about to find out who did. Having him around could be a major distraction."

"Look, Boudreaux, I've got to hang up. I hear my police scanner going crazy. We'll discuss this again."


************************************************************

Beth and Lael pulled up to the reserved parking space at the newspaper office. The building wasn't terribly far from the explosion site at the warehouse. It was an older building, built in the early twentieth century. It was red brick that over time had faded to a washed umber look. An aged, but proud sign announced, The Hurstville Post. In smaller letters, Founded 1916. The newspaper was founded by Beth's grandfather and great uncle. Later her father and uncle ran it. Now, she and Lael, were publisher, editor and part time sales people. They hired a gifted, recent Journalism major from the University of Georgia, as copy editor and page designer. Cindy had been a God send. They worked with a couple of commission based photographers, with the rest of the staff being lift and tote types..

As Beth walked to the front door, she was greeted by the large picture of her grandfather and great uncle in the early days of the paper. As she had all her life, she stopped and breathed in the essence of the paper. With current technology, she didn't even have to work here anymore. Everything she did could be accomplished from her home office. It wouldn't be the same though. To her, the company was a living, breathing, entity. It was a part of her life.

The two walked in and settled into their small, shared office. "So, Lael, what's on your plate today?"

"I needed to put on my sales manager hat, but don't think I'll have time. We need to hit the ground running. The events from yesterday are still hot and I need to get an update on the warehouse explosion. Are you going to write the editorial for this weekend?"

"No. There really isn't time for that either. The paper is going to have pretty big news already. A local getting abducted, a miraculous escape and the death of two drug dealers, should be pretty riveting. It's going to seem strange writing about that local who just happens to be you. Cindy called me and said she already has the story roughed out. All I have to do is edit and update. It can run tonight. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets picked up in Atlanta."

The two were interrupted by Cindy, the copy editor. "It's almost 8:00. Are you two only working a half day today? While you were schmoozing, I was also getting the story about the warehouse explosion. Did you guys know that two more people were killed?"

Lael, looked up from her coffee. "Yeah, Jimmy and our house guest, Dax left for there after breakfast. We heard about two possible homicides, but I guess you're confirming."

"I am. It looks like there were two people in the warehouse when it blew up and most likely, there was a meth lab in operation. Nikki, gave me some pretty good background, but told me she would break my nose if I let her name get out. I guess I scooped you Lael. I know you've got a direct line to Jimmy."

Lael stuck her tongue out as she asked, "Do we have enough of a story to make this afternoon's edition."

"I think so. We'll just write up and run as information from an unconfirmed source. Just think. I could have taken a job in Atlanta, but came home instead. Last week, I was reporting about Mrs. Demont's tea party, and this week, two double homicides. By the way, I am so glad that you're okay."

"Thanks, Cindy, we all better get to it."

*****************************************************

After the Sheriff left the crime scene, Dax, Jimmy and Nikki were sitting outside the warehouse comparing notes. Someone had brought some coffee and the universal, law enforcement staple, donuts.

Nikki brushed powdered sugar off her nose as she commented, "That was sure a lot of work with not a whole lot to show for it."

Dax countered. "I beg to disagree. I've been to plenty of crime scenes that didn't have nearly this much."

A puzzled Jimmy asked, "What do you mean Dax?"

"Nikki found an empty shell casing. Most likely, it came from the gun that was used for the homicide. Since it was ejected, that rules out a revolver. We now know the murder weapon was a semi-automatic. The gunpowder dispersion yesterday would indicate the same. There are tell-tale nicks on the shell casing that can be matched to the gun, if it is ever found. We also have four bullets from four bodies. There is just too much similarity between the two shootings to suspect two different killers."

An impressed Nikki commented, "I guess that is quite a lot."

Dax smiled. "Don't sell yourself short. You also found the two sets of footprints in the dust under the window. It was quite obvious that they came from two different people. The photographer put a scale beside each print. One was an approximate size 11, the other an approximate 7 ½. There are charts that will equate to size. While there is no certainty, a size 11 indicates an individual 6 feet or taller. A 7 ½ would suggest a person five and a half feet The smaller footprint showed no pattern. The larger one had a definite pattern. The Georgia Bureau of Investigation can run that pattern against the Soulmate® data-base and give you the manufacturer."

"The actual explosive itself, would suggest to me that the person who set this up has some military background. Bailey knew the device from Viet Nam days. Most military, world wide, would know of a device suppressing the arming lever of a fragmentation grenade. It's sometimes even called, the poor mans booby trap."

"So, in short, you should be looking for two suspects. One will be approximately six feet tall, the other around five and half feet. One or both might have military background. There is at least one weapon associated with the murders, a 22 caliber, semi automatic pistol. By the way, there is a possibility that the killers are from Mexico."

Jimmy asked incredulously, "How could you get Mexico out of anything we've seen?"

"The bottom of the shell casing was imprinted with a small eagle. I think you will find that this shell came from the Aguila Manufacturing company. It looks to me like it came from a 40 grain, Aguila, subsonic round."
















Recognized


List of Characters:
Dax Connor - medically retired from Secret Service
Lael Jackson - 20 year old lady that Dax rescued
Jimmy Dent - Deputy
Sheriff Bailey - Sheriff with some questionable background
Stanley Tate - Deputy
Boudreaux - Local drug kingpin
Beth Jackson - Lael's mother
Alden Bishop - Boudreaux henchmen
Nikki James - Female sheriff deputy
Scott Bunn - deputy
Terry Bunn - deputy (no relation to Scott)
Enrique Estaban - Mexican Cartel member
Jorge Morales - Mexican Cartel member
Cindy Townsend - Newspaper page designer, Assistant Editor
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. bhogg All rights reserved.
bhogg has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.