General Fiction posted March 3, 2010 Chapters:  ...6 7 -8- 9... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A surprise around every corner.....

A chapter in the book Contest Entry and Winners

First Class What?

by Begin Again

The Longest Flight of My Life Contest Winner 












"No ... no ... stop the plane." Dropping my duffle bag, I pleaded with the attendant. A known procrastinator, I'd missed my flight.

"I'm sorry, Ma'am. Flight 428 to Haiti has left the boarding area."

"Call them back! I have to be on it."

The plane taxied down the runway. I slumped into a chair.

I'd had five years to earn my inheritance by volunteering at a world disaster and my last available chance was gone.

"Excuse me, my name's Miguel." A man touched my shoulder. "I can help."

"Right," I snapped, "You can make the plane return?"

"No ... I can put you on another one."

"Haiti isn't allowing any more commercial flights."

"Not commercial, but my friend's plane is cleared." He pointed at a jet.

My hopes soared. "Will he take me?"

Fourteen hours of luxury flying. Could my luck have changed?

"Si, the doctor's plane is carrying medical supplies. We must hurry," Miguel replied.

My stilettos tap-tapped as we raced into the jet. The pilot's eyes widened, appreciating my leather mini skirt and silk blouse. I smiled and eased into one of the seats, exposing a generous portion of skin.

"Humph! She's a volunteer." He rolled his eyes at Miguel. "Hope that's not her whole wardrobe."

Indignant, I muttered, "Bet the jet's owner appreciates a well-dressed woman." I prepared for take-off, musing over the scrumptious but crass man at the helm.

The radio crackled. "Tanner, got room for bottled water and some stock?"

"Baggage area is loaded but there's room inside with Miss Fashion Plate." Exiting the cockpit, he flashed a devilish grin. My heart skipped a beat. "You might want to reconsider your outfit while we're adding some additional cargo."

Too bad your mouth doesn't match your looks, buddy. Hmmm ... maybe I would be more comfortable flying in shorts.

After scrounging in my duffle bag, I hurried to the bathroom to change.

Miguel knocked on the door. "Miss, the plane is taking off. You need to buckle up."

Prepared for a relaxing flight, I stepped out of the bathroom. I stopped, stunned at the cargo.

Miguel pushed me into a seat, fastening my seatbelt as the plane soared.

The luxurious jet had transformed into Old McDonald's Farm. Cows mooed. One swished her tail, slapping me in the face. Chickens flew over my seat, narrowly missing my head. Feathers floated in the air.

Miguel shrugged his shoulders. "Wasn't time to pen them."

"My God, they'll ruin the plane. What will the owner say?" A pig rooted at my feet. I screamed and Miguel burst into laughter.

As soon as the plane leveled, I stormed to the cockpit, carefully sidestepping several cows and a pig.

What idiot puts livestock inside a luxury jet?

Edging myself into the co-pilot's chair, I demanded an explanation. "Whatever possessed you to put animals inside a plane? Are you crazy?"

"They needed a ride, just like you." His eyes danced.

"It's uncivilized. They'll ruin the plane. What will the doctor say?"

"Hmmm ... why don't you ask him?"

"I wish I could." An undesirable odor drifted into the cockpit. "Who is this saint, anyhow?"

"Me." He shook with laughter.

Maybe, the longest flight of my life was going to be worth it after all.


Writing Prompt
Please write a flash fiction humor story using the prompt: The longest flight of my life.

The Longest Flight of My Life
Contest Winner

Recognized


Words - 540
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.