General Fiction posted February 26, 2010 Chapters:  ...39 40 -41- 42... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
My mind screamed I don't want to die.

A chapter in the book Flash Fiction

The Thunder Roared

by Begin Again


















Lightning zigzagged across the sky. The wind whipped the tree branches against the window.

Clutching my blanket, I cried, "Mommy, I'm afraid." Panic vibrated through my six-year-old voice.

Mommy yanked the blanket from my head, scolding me, "Nonsense! You're a big girl. It's only a thunderstorm."

She shut-off the light and closed the door. Hugging my knees to my chest, I clamped my eyes shut and prayed, "Please help me, God."

Booming thunder rattled the house. I screamed, "I'm going to die! Please don't let me die."

Quiet settled over the room. Terrified, I slipped from the safety of my bed and inched toward the window, peering into the dark. The tree branches were still. I breathed a sigh of relief. The storm was gone. I thanked the Lord.

Moments later, the sound of a freight train roared through the darkness. The house rattled and moaned. The windowpane shattered. The howling wind tossed me across the room. I screamed and buried my head in fear.

Light flooded the room. A strong arm encircled my sobbing body. A voice soothed me.

"It's okay. I'm here." He kissed my cheek. "It's only a dream."

"I was remembering the tornado," I whimpered.

"I know, but you're safe." My husband stroked my hair and kissed away my tears. I was comforted.



Micro-Fiction contest entry

Recognized


Words - 219

Choose a topic from those listed below:
a red balloon
thunder
Luigi's Pizza Restaurant
financial advice
the monster that watches you from the mirror


Minimum length 200 words. Maximum Length 224 words.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.