Humor Non-Fiction posted October 17, 2008 Chapters:  ...13 14 -15- 16... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Some Tunes Are Known Worldwide

A chapter in the book Foxtales From The Front Porch

Whistlin' Dixie in Danish

by foxtale

While traveling in Europe with my Brother-in-law and his wife, my daughter, Melanie, stayed for a couple of days in a little town on the coast of Denmark. Each morning as the flag in the quaint postage-stamp sized park was raised, students from the nearby middle-school would accompany the flag raising by playing musical instruments.

One morning while breakfasting, my daughter was sure she heard that old song, "Dixie," being laboriously squeaked out by a flute and a clarinet. Just across the street were two students with their instruments standing at the flagpole along with the town's maintenance man.

My brother-in-law, who speaks Danish, was able to discover why the students were playing "Dixie," an American song of the south. The kids were first year music students and between the two of them "Dixie" was the only song they both knew clear through.

Wrong flag, wrong continent, but the music endured!

..jfox..



Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. foxtale All rights reserved.
foxtale has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.