Romance Fiction posted October 20, 2024 Chapters:  ...38 39 -40- 


Sami meets a longhorn steer.

A chapter in the book Willing Hearts

Chapter 23 Willing Hearts

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Can Noah rescue Myra, shut down the human trafficking ring, keep Sami safe, all while protecting his heart? Or did the love of his life appear in front of him.
Noah and Sami met 28 days ago.

ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Walking toward the computer lab with Noah's dinner, Sami heard cheering. She stood at the door. "What's going on?"

Noah walked over and pecked her cheek. "The fourth BDSM shop is shut down. Eleven girls and six boys were rescued. Twelve more of Chen's crew members were arrested."

"Boys?"

Sarah answered, "Yes, males are in danger too. Human trafficking doesn't only affect females."

Bob chuckled. "Matt wants to know why it took so long to respond. How should I answer?"

Sami set Noah's plate down on a cabinet. "I think I'll go to my room."

As they laughed, Jose said, "How about we tell him we were outside playing kickball and didn't hear the computer?"

The others agreed.

TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 23

As predawn lit the Sunday morning sky, Noah knocked on Sami's bedroom door. When she opened it, he took her hand, "Good morning, Sunshine," and kissed her. "Ready for our run?"

Jasper pushed them aside as he headed towards the front door.

"Yes, and so is my dog."

Outside they stretched as Sami watched Jasper run to the pond. "He really likes it here. I wish there was some place like this closer to the city that I could afford. He needs exercise. He shouldn't be cramped in an apartment all day."

"I have a feeling he's happy wherever you are."

Sami smiled. "You're right." She stretched once more. "Ready?"

"I am. Let's do this."

They began a slow jog and then sped up.

A few minutes of silent running continued, before Sami asked, "Noah?"

"Yes?"

She exhaled, swallowed, and exhaled again.

"What's on your mind?" asked Noah. "It must be important."

Almost stopping, she gulped. "Are you sorry you said what you did yesterday?"

Noah stopped. "I regret..."

Sami turned away from him.

Stepping in front of her, Noah saw tears welling in her eyes. "Sami?"

She dried the tears as they started to drip down her cheeks. "Sorry, I promised myself no matter how you answered I wouldn't cry. I've cried more around you than I have anybody."

He took her in his arms and kissed the top of her head. "Let me finish. What I regret is not telling you earlier. I'd convinced myself I was protecting you, but I was protecting myself."

Their eyes met as Sami asked, "Really?"

"I'm sorry I made this harder than it should've been, not that I told you I'm in love with you." He kissed her. "Probably the reason for the extra tears. If I could do it again, I'd be more upfront."

Drying her tears, Sami said, "I understand discussing your feelings doesn't come easy for you."

"True, but with you, for some reason, it's easier. Believe me. I've fought it."

"Thank you for saying that." Sami pointed. "Maybe we should continue running."

"Probably."

*****
They walked around the pond for a cool down, and Sami pointed. "I've noticed a peach tree behind Jose's cabin. If they're ripe, I could make a peach pie for dinner." Noah cocked his head and stared at her, as she continued, "Chen's arrested and so are most of his men. I'd be safe. I'd wear my Fitbit so you could hear everything. Jasper would be with me. You could still work." She pointed. "I'd just be over there."

"You're reinventing the rules again."

"That's number four on your list." Her eyes met his. "Incorrigible is number ten."

Chuckling, Noah said, "That needs to be higher." He exhaled. "I'll think about it and give you an answer after breakfast. Fair enough?"

"I guess."

They went inside.

*****
During breakfast Sami studied Noah. Shaking his head, he said, "Breakfast isn't over yet."

Jose grinned. "Sami, what do you want to know?"

"Jose, could I please pick peaches from the tree behind your cabin so I can make a peach pie?"

"I don't see a problem. Most of the threat is over. I'd enjoy eating pie. Do we have vanilla ice cream?"

"We do. So, you think it's, okay?"

"I can't overrule the boss. I'd better defer to him."

Sami's eyes met Noah's. Exhaling, he said, "Okay, wear your Fitbit and take Jasper. If you see anything at all, get inside. Understand?" Before she could answer he said, "Jose, keep that iPad with you at all times and keep surveying the area."

"Roger that, Boss." Jose winked at Sami. "Just let me know when you're ready to go."

"It'll be a while. I have a few things to take care of for lunch."

*****
Late morning, Sami stood at Sarah and Bob's bedroom door and watched everybody study the computer screen. "Any new developments?"

Noah walked to her. "We're watching the interrogations of the crew members arrested yesterday. Ready to go?"

Sami showed her bucket. "I am." She called, "Jose, I'm ready."

He held up the iPad. "I got this. It looks good."

Pecking her cheek, Noah said, "Don't take any chances."

She held up her wrist, revealing the Fitbit. "I won't."

Opening the door and after she and Jasper walked through it, Noah whispered, "Be careful."

Sarah put her hand on Noah's arm. "Boss, she'll be fine. It's safe."

*****
About forty-five minutes later, the team heard scratching at the front door and rushed to it.
When they saw Jasper, without Sami, and he turned toward the cabin, they followed with weapons drawn.

Following the large dog around the corner, they stopped. Sami sat on a tree branch staring at a longhorn steer. It chewed grass, not paying attention to her.

Bob and Jose started chuckling.

Noah shook his head and holstered his gun. "You've invented a new threat. I don't believe it."

Frowning as her friends continued laughing, Sami said, "Would somebody help me? I can't stay here all day."

The three men encouraged the thousand-pound steer with a horn span of over eight feet to find another area to graze.

Sarah exhaled. "Texas is an open range state."

"I know. Fences aren't required. I never realized it was possible to come face to face with one."

"You're not in Houston any longer."

"True."

Scanning the area, Sarah said, "It's safe to come down." She held up her arms. "I'll help."

"You're pregnant. I'm too heavy. I'll wait for the guys." Sami was silent for a moment. "I need to apologize. I've been selfish. I've been worried how staying here would affect me, but I'd forgotten how it affects you. You need to start prenatal care. I'm sorry."

"I understand. Your world has been turned upside down. When Bob went to town the other day, he picked up some prenatal vitamins. I'm good."

When the men returned from leading the steer away, they continued making jokes.

They glanced up at a frowning Sami, who said, "I'm glad you're enjoying yourselves at my expense."

Jose spoke first. "Sorry Sami, but you must admit this is funny. You just can't stay out of trouble. Boss is right. You need to remain under lock and key."

"That's not going to happen."

Noah stepped closer to the tree. "Come down two branches, and I'll help you the rest of the way."

Once Sami was on the ground, Noah drew her closer and kissed her. "I'm glad you're unhurt, but it's funny."

"Maybe a little, but I'm not going to stay under lock and key."

"Jose exaggerated, a little."

"A lot. Let's go inside. I need to finish lunch and then make the pie."

Noah hesitated. "Why didn't you call me from the Fitbit?"

"Because I was afraid if I made any noise, he'd get upset and attack."

"Understood, but I doubt steers work that way."

*****
As lunch finished, Noah said, "Sarah, check with Galvin and see if he's heard anything from the New Orleans' office."

"On it, Boss."

After she checked, she shook her head. "Nothing's come in."

"I wonder if Galvin even made the call." Noah faced Bob. "Find a phone number for their main office. I want a name to go with it. We need that information. I don't like not knowing what I'm dealing with."

When Noah went behind closed doors to make the call, Sami asked, "Sarah, why's this call so secretive?"

"It's not a secret. Sometimes Noah's language can get derogatory. I doubt he wants you to hear. Let's see if we can finish that puzzle."

Everybody faced Noah when he opened the door. He exhaled. "He promised to have a report by close of business tomorrow." His eyes met Jose's. "If the report isn't ready, you and I will fly to New Orleans tomorrow night."

"Roger that, Boss."

Noah took Sami's hand. "I'm working on it."

"I know. Thank you." She hesitated. "We're good."

~~~~~
Florida law enforcement arrested 157 people during a human trafficking sting.
Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd gives update on human trafficking arrest:

I HAD POSTED A VIDEO HERE, BUT IT WOULD ALLOW REVIEWERS TO SCROLL PAST IT, SO IT WAS TAKEN DOWN.

~~~~~
CHARACTERS:

Sami Martinez - Twenty-five-year-old high school teacher, who's working to find a kidnapped teenage girl.

Noah Taylor. - Homeland Security team leader, who works in the Human Trafficking department. Alias - Trey Morgan

Jose, Bob, & Sarah - Agents who work under Noah. Bob and Sarah are married.

Laura Martinez - Sami's mom.

Jasper - Sami's Great Dane, a large breed dog.

Myra Rodriguez - Kidnapped teenage girl whom Sami was close to.

Julia - Teenage girl, who was friends with Myra and Sami works with.

Big T - Neighborhood pimp; not a friendly person

Numerous Team Members - They will show up periodically but not really important to the story, except they're there.

Chen - Charles Henry Edward Nichols - Human trafficker and into some really bad stuff.

Chief Galvin Baldwin - Noah's supervisor.

Marc - Sami's old boyfriend.

Mateo Enrique Aguilar de Pereira - a very close friend of Sami's; a rich playboy

Juan Pablo Enrique Aguilar de Pereira - Mateo's father




Thank you, Google Images for a photograph so a longhorn steer.

Chapter 23 is a shorter chapter. I'm posting it as one chapter. It's a little under 1500 words.

I added this video because numerous fans have asked if human trafficking is a real problem. It is a huge problem, especially in our coastal cities. It's become a larger problem in the past few years. I know it's long. I found shorter ones, but were Fox news reports. I wanted a nonbiased site.

As always, I changed some things as I post. I appreciate all the help. I couldn't do this without your help. I appreciate all review.
Pays 10 points and 1.23 member dollars (and maybe more).


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.