General Fiction posted October 4, 2024 Chapters:  ...30 31 -32- 33... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Opposing sides make plans

A chapter in the book Spirited Justice

Spirited Justice Chap 32

by Begin Again




Background
"Beauty, Brawn, or Brains" was a global platform showcasing women's diverse talents, yet murders, accidents, and deceit haunted the pageant worldwide. Was there a common link or merely coincidence?
"Stop pacing, Angelo. Everything's going to be okay." Eleanor moved closer to him. "Would I steer you wrong?"

"No, but if those papers are so important —"

"I assure you they are." Eleanor watched Garth as he studied the research papers, waiting to see if he understood how important they were. She could tell by his intense reading that their contents were rocking his emotions.

Finally, after what felt like an eternity for Angelo, Garth looked up from the papers and stared out the window, a sense of foreboding in the air.

Eleanor gave him a few minutes to digest what he'd read and then asked, "Well, what do you think, Garth?"

He cleared his throat. "I'm no scientist, and I believe the information is outdated, but I can see why someone might have murdered Lila Whitaker for it."

"Good. Do you also wonder why these papers were in Arthur Beckett's possession? The same man who I believe framed his client for the murder?"

"That's taking a leap, Eleanor."

"Is it? An innocent man would have surrendered the papers to the authorities — like Angelo did." She smiled at Angelo, hoping to calm his nerves.

"Maybe that's what he intended to do. We don't know how long he's had them."

"Garth, listen to your gut. Don't let Allie's death cloud your judgment. Beckett was a powerful man, yet he was blackmailing Naomi, and someone was paying him to shut up."

"Yes, the offshore accounts suggest that, but —"

Frustrated by Garth's reaction, Angelo joined the conversation, "I know my friend was willing to surrender his son to the authorities because of these papers. And Jose murdered his father because he wanted the papers. I also know that Jose would not have the knowledge or the connections to exploit them. He only knew they were worth a lot of money and wanted a share."

Eleanor let her thoughts whirl around her mind for a moment and added, "Angelo, remember the men at the airport with Jose? Maybe he was involved with them. Weren't they and the young man from Germany?"

"Johan was a student at the University where both Lila and Hilda did their research. And the men were executives with a pharmaceutical company, I believe."

Garth looked up from the folder. "Who's Hilda?"

Eleanor smiled, knowing Garth was putting two and two together. It would be much simpler if she could tell him, but that's not how it worked. "Hilda is the young woman in this year's pageant who also is scheduled to present her research."

Eleanor had Garth's full attention now. "Are you saying that someone else has researched eliminating cancer?"

"I haven't seen her research, and she has been quite guarded about it, especially since Johan, the young man from her university, made an attempt to steal it."

"Where is this Johan fellow? We need to talk to him."

"He's currently sitting in Matthew's jail."

"Donatelli has crucial evidence, and he's holding out on me? If this is because of Allie —"

"Garth, stop! He's working on a murder case and an attack on Hilda — and, of course, Naomi. Don't you see all the cases are linked together?"

"Speaking of Naomi —" Angelo didn't want the woman he loved to be forgotten in the shuffle.

Her voice was a whisper as she spoke, "Angelo, not now."

Angelo moved quickly to the side of the bed, taking her hand. "I'm sorry. Did I wake you?"

Naomi shook her head. "No, I've been listening. It sounds like you have far more important things to take care of than worrying about me."

"Nonsense. I gave Garth the papers he wanted. Now, we have every right to ask for something in return."

Her eyes met his and lingered for a moment. "It doesn't matter, Angelo."

"Don't say that. What happens to you matters a great deal to me. You had no idea what Beckett or Jose were doing, and you got caught up in their mess. You shouldn't have to pay for that."

"Angelo, please, now is not the time." Eleanor stepped closer to him. "I know you are worried, but we can only do one thing at a time. We will take care of Naomi."

'You said I could trust him. I want his word now."

"Angelo —"

"No, Eleanor, he's right. I'd fight like hell for my woman if I were in his shoes."

"Then you understand?" Angelo sighed.

"I understand far more than you think I do. I can't speak for Donatelli, but as far as I am concerned, Naomi has been through enough. The cover-up happened in Mexico, and she did nothing wrong here. I can't see why she should have any problems."

"Great! I'm glad we see it the same way, my friend." Frank DiVito stood in the doorway. I was afraid I would have to do things behind your back."

Garth raised an eyebrow at his friend. "Like what?"

Frank turned to Angelo and Naomi. "Earlier, you mentioned that you didn't want any of Beckett's money. Well, if you meant it —"

Naomi lifted her head off the pillow, trying to support herself on her elbows. "I don't want any of his blood money."

"Then I have a proposition for you. I have a small beach house in Mexico that is secluded and very private. It would be the perfect place for you to recuperate."

Garth chuckled. "Small? The words not in your vocabulary, Frankie."

The gangster made an evil eye at his friend and then continued, "I think you and Angelo should go there, and I'll send a medical team to take care of you until you fully recover. Once you are, and if you like the place, it is yours."

"Ours? Are you joking?" Naomi and Angelo exchanged bewildered glances.

"No, I'm not. It's beautiful there. And in return, if the offer you made this morning still stands, I will build a cancer wing to honor you."

"Of course, it stands. Take all the money if you need it. A cancer wing sounds wonderful." Her eyes shifted to Garth. "I'd like it to be dedicated to Allie."

Caught off guard, Garth's emotions showed in his eyes, and he turned away, trying to speak. "There's no —" Tears filled his eyes, and he brushed them away with the back of his hand. Lifting his head, he looked at Naomi, his words barely a whisper, "Thank you."

Recognizing his struggle, Eleanor stepped to his side, rubbing his shoulder. "I hate to break up this love fest, but I believe we have work to do. You should start packing."

"Packing? Where am I going?" Still staring out the window, with thoughts of Allie flashing through his mind, he mumbled, "On vacation?"

"No, not on vacation. You need to get with Matthew and solve this case — without a sparring match, please."

Her remark accomplished what she'd hoped. Garth chuckled. "Eleanor, that hard-headed boy only knows how to enter a room swinging with his right fist and following with the left."

"You can't pull the wool over my eyes, Garth Woodman. You are as guilty as he is."

"Hmmm — possibly, but I'm much better looking than him."

Frank laughed, moving over to his friend's side. "Or so you tell everyone." He clasped Garth's hand in a firm handshake. "It's been nice to see you again, but I'm told I must send you packing."

Garth tipped the Stetson back on his head and looked up at his friend. "I owe you —"

"You owe me nothing, my friend. Naomi offered the money, and I couldn't think of a better way to use it. Now, go make Allie proud and kick some butt."

Amused, Garth teased, "Can I start with Donatelli's?"

"Garth! Behave yourself," Eleanor snapped, suppressing her smile.

"Yes, ma'am."

*****

Realizing they needed to cover their tracks, the three men had switched accommodations to a hotel on the far side of town.

"What about the car? I'm sure they got a good look at it." Henry, a pharmaceutical CEO, paced the floor. He wasn't comfortable with what had happened at the park with the woman or how things were suddenly unraveling.

The enforcer laughed. "It's unrecognizable. They set it on fire and crushed it until it looked like a can of tuna. I watched with my own eyes until the job was completed.

"Good! What do we do for transportation now?"

"Takin' care of. Paid cash from one of those buy-pay here lots."

William, the oldest of the three, scoffed. "Those places sell junk. We need something reliable."

"You worry too much, William. I paid a hefty price to ensure we got the best available — not flashy like you are accustomed to, but reliable."

"They'll be questioning Johan if they haven't already. I doubt the young man will keep his mouth shut. We need to cut our losses and return to Germany."

"Are you going soft on me, Henry? We need those papers."

"We're in too deep, William. The police are involved, and it won't take long for them to put things together. I don't intend to be on foreign soil when it happens. It's time to go home."

Recognizing that his future was about to be flushed down the toilet, the enforcer spoke, directing his thoughts to William, "I understand why Henry is nervous, but we can do this. The girl's vulnerable. If we threaten her family, she'll fold."

Henry, the crew's tender soul, snapped, "Threaten her parents? Have you gone mad? Have you forgotten that her grandfather placed this ball in play five years ago when the University was about to close? No one will go for that!"

"Calm down, Henry. He might be on to something." William leaned back in the chair and stared at the ceiling, deep in thought.

William had opened the door to possibilities, and the enforcer pounced. "Of course, I'm on to something. Get the father to fake a video that looks like the family is being held against their will, and the girl will crumble faster than a cookie. We trade her research for their freedom. She'll do it."

"We'd have to work fast. If she has time to get with the police, they'll convince her to give them the papers, and then it's over."

"I don't like it, William. Too many people are getting involved now. This was supposed to be a walk in the park." Henry shifted his eyes to the enforcer. "The murder of Beckett wasn't in our plans."

"Did you want to keep paying the man for the rest of your life? The opportunity presented itself when his wife whacked him with the brick." He pulled a small leather case from his pocket and opened it. Inside was a silver scalpel. His smile was malicious as he lifted it from the case, twirling it between his fingers. "The gift that keeps on giving."

Henry's eyes widened, and he stepped away, threatened by the instrument in the enforcer's hand.

"Put it away," William growled. "We've no need for any of that."

The enforcer shot a grin toward Henry's trembling figure but returned the scalpel to its resting place, mumbling, "He didn't mind when it saved his hide, now did he?"

"Enough! I'll give you forty-eight hours to get the papers, or it's over. I'll arrange for the jet to be ready, and it will leave with or without you. Do I make myself clear?"

"Sure. No problem."

"I'll make the call to get the video made. Can you handle the rest?"

"Of course, a piece of cake."

"And are you on board, Henry?"

"Do I have a choice?" He turned his back on the two and stared out the window. "I just hope you know what you're doing, William."




Danielle "Danni" Delahanty -- Ghost Detective
Eleanor Bennett -- Beloved Ghost Advisor
Matthew Donatelli -- Detective
Jenna Bradford -- Journalist and Pageant Consultant
Naomi Henderson -- Lawyer/ex-lover of Donatelli -
Arthur Beckett - deceased lawyer, friend, and enemy of Naomi
Patti Beckett - ex-wife from a nasty divorce
Hilda - a pageant contestant and medical researcher
Klaus - Hilda's older brother and protector
Johan - a supposed friend of Hilda's family with a connection to Jose
Angelo Carter - a private investigator with a dark side
Carlos Hernandez - a Mexican landowner with power
Jose Hernandez - Carlos's son - a reckless playboy
Alejandro - Jose's childhood friend
Garth Woodman - FBI Agent
Tango and Poppa - FBI agents under Garth
Allie - his love who died of cancer (an investigative reporter)
Dr. Rosa Galotti -- Morgue Medical Examiner
Emily - Jenna's faithful assistant
Lila - a pageant contestant who was murdered for her research
Thomas Whitaker - Lila's father
Sophia - Lila's sister (blind)
Max - Sophia's best friend and guide dog
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.