Biographical Non-Fiction posted October 2, 2024 Chapters:  ...44 45 -46- 47... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Mostly events happening in 1951

A chapter in the book At Home in Mississippi

The Year 1951 and Thereafter

by BethShelby


In the middle of eighth-grade, the calendar turned over to the year 1951. The Korean war, which had started back in the summer, was getting well underway. At 13, I was blissfully unaware that the one I would later meet and marry was a couple of counties away dreading a letter from Uncle Sam calling his draft number. At that time in my life, I was far more interested in things I considered relevant, like the first 3D movie, which would soon be coming to a theater near me. I think it was “House of Wax.”

That Spring, Dad decided to put in a bid on a car which had been used by the highway patrol. They were going to a newer model. This car was a 1948 Ford sedan, and Dad won the bid. I think he got it for around $200. A new car cost a little over $1000, but this one suited us just fine. The average price for a new house was around $9000, but in our little town you could buy one for a lot less.

According to our Weekly Reader, a newspaper passed out to school students to get them interested in current events, the first color TVs were about to make their debut. I’d never even seen a black and white TV. My dad was still claiming we’d never see one in our little town because the curve of the earth wouldn’t permit a picture to pass through the air. Dad would soon be in for a shock.

Before the fall school term started, something occurred, involving a neighbor boy, which really rocked my little world. Chuck was someone I’d always disliked, but because he lived fairly close, I had to deal with him from time to time. His constant lies and gross exaggerations made me dread being around him. I’d known him since I was three, but since he was four years older than me, I was thankful our paths didn’t cross often. That year he’d invited me to a ball game. I said no right away, but for some reason, my mom didn’t like me to turn down one of our neighbors. My dad came to my defense that time, and said “No way is she going anywhere with that boy.”  

A few weeks later, Chuck came over and told my mom he was going down into the woods to get some chinquapins, and if I went with him, he’d help me pick up some as well. I didn’t want to go. In the first place, some kind of virus had killed all of the chinquapin trees years ago. We hadn’t had those kind of nuts since I was about four. Mom gave me a bucket and said she would love to have some. I went reluctantly, wondering why a 17-year-old boy wanted to go somewhere with a 13-year-old girl.

When we got to the edge of the woods, I said, “Look, I’m not going in those woods until I’m sure there are some nuts. You go find the tree and come back and show me some chinquapins.”

It was just as I had suspected, and there were no chinquapins. He wasn’t gone long before he returned. “I thought sure there were a lot of them here. Someone must have got them all already. I’ll race you back home. I’ll even give you a head start.”

I took off as fast as my legs would carry me, but I had scarcely gotten started when he plowed into me and knocked me to the ground.

“Get off of me,” I screamed. “What’s wrong with you? Are you crazy?”

I kicked and clawed, finally getting free and taking off again, only to have him grab me and knock me to the ground once more.

If this was some kind of a game he was playing, it wasn’t funny even though he was laughing like a maniac.

By this time, my clothes were twisted, I’d lost a button. My face and arms were smudged with dirt, and tears were running down my cheeks. I was convinced that if I didn’t fight like a tiger, this was going to end badly.

“What’s the matter? Is that the best you can do? You run like a girl.” He let me get to my feet and get a little further along before diving into me again. This kept happening until I was close enough to the house my cries could be heard.

 At that point, he left me alone. Once we reached my yard, he kept going along on his way home. I entered the house sobbing and panting for breath.

“What on earth happened to you?” Mom asked.

“That crazy fool tried to kill me. It’s your fault. I didn’t want to go. I knew there was no chinquapins down there. Don’t you ever make me go anywhere with him again.”

“I can’t believe he would do something foolish like that. His mother and his sister are all good neighbors. Was he just playing with you like you were a boy?”

“I don’t know what his intentions were, and I don’t intend to find out.”

We didn’t hear anything more about him for a while. Then we learned he had turned 18 and joined the Navy. He had met a girl in a nearby town, and they were dating. The first time he was home on leave, Mom invited him and his girlfriend over for a meal. Ever since I’d known him, he had never told the truth about anything. I wasn’t surprised when he spent the evening making up lies to entertains us.

That night, he had a story to tell about jumping overboard the naval vessel with a sharp knife and slitting a shark’s throat. He claimed he had to swim really fast to catch up with the ship, and climb up the rope to get back on board. His girlfriend was totally impressed with his bravery. She was gasping in amazement, and I was laughing so hard I had to leave the table.

When Chuck got out of the Navy, he was anxious to get married. Mom gave his bride-to-be a shower. I was older by then, and Mom put me in charge of the decorations and entertainment. I felt very sorry for his bride, but I was relieved because I no longer had to deal with him. His sister would return the favor and give me a shower five years later when it was my turn.

That was what life was like in a small town. No matter how obnoxious they are, you aren’t allowed to think evil of your neighbors.




Recognized


This will be a chapter in the book "Growing Up in Mississippi" Some of you may remember the story of the chinquapin adventure. I wrote about it before, but I can't find it.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. BethShelby All rights reserved.
BethShelby has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.